Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

terminal startup problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

renokp

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2006
US
I am running aloha 4.239. I have 2 wedge terminals. Term 1 boots up and gets error Initialize: can't find terminal 1. Term 2 boots up and says, Numterms indicates 2 termials, but 1 are defined. term 1 is set up as term 1 in aloha.ini and is set as term 1 in network settings identification. they have static ip's, term 1 10.10.10.11 term 2 10.10.10.12. Also term 2 is set as term in the same way that I described for term 1 (except being term 2). The server and both terms can see eachother in neighborhood network. Niether are getting info from the server (i dont believe). Any thoughts would be greatly appriciated!!

Sounds like terminal one has either been deleted in Aloha or is not flagged an an order entry terminal.

can't add anything more really to what posrescue stated..he is correct

Verify that you have two physical terminals in the Maintenance program (whoa, I had to remember that this version did not have one Aloha Manager but rather two programs) In this case you are missing terminal 1, keeping in mind that Aloha don't look at the name but rather at the ID number, if you don't have ID 1, you need to add it, if you do have it, make sure it is order entry, or lastly the only other way to get rid of this error is to edit the NUMTERMS variable. Sounds like the last one is not what you want to do since you will have 2 terminals.

As far as not getting info from the server, check all environment variables in the ibercfg.bat file, i.e. SET SERVER= comes to mind right off.

thanks for responding. 1 thing I forgot to mention is that term 2 was made from a clone of term 1. Then I changed what I said above. How would I go about flagging the terminal? I thought that it should just go into redundancy if it couldnt find back of house or the other term.?

It sounds to me like terminal 1 is not in the database or is not flagged as order entry in the database. This would be changed from the fileserver or where ever you are running Aloha Control and Maintenance. That sould be in [Maintenance][System][Terminals].
If you do not have connectivity to the terminals that would have to solved first.
If term 2 was imaged from term 1 change the following if not already changed on number 2. (this nassumes the trmstr is term...
[ibercfg.bat] - term=2
In networking make sure your computer identification is term2. Make sure the terminal has a unique but compatable IP address and identical subnet mask.

ok I have a little more info. It seems that the file server is running 4.274 while the terms are running 4.239. could this be why the terms are not contacting the server? If so is there anything I can do. also iberconfig on term 2 is: set term=2 on term 1: set term=1 both say: set termstr=term

also in aloha maintenance identity for term 1

terminal ID: 001 term 1

for term2

terminal ID: 002 term 2

but still having all the same problems

pos is fun!!!

OK, I am kind of an idiot, but, I copied Alohaqs from the boh server to the foh terms. Happily, they boot up, but for some reason they are STILL not connecting to the server. So they are now running in redundancy. Unfortunately for me, I still need to program some items on the reg so I am still looking for the reason they are not communicating. Does anyone know if I need to have the server connected on the uplink port on my hub?

First off make sure your BOH (Aloha Control) computer is communicating with the terminals.
Make sure you have a network drive mapped (it must be Z) to the bootdrv shared drive on the fileserver from each terminal. If you don't create that mapped drive. I recomend using a batch file that is called at startup using the "net" command...
If the terminals are on a different version they should update the bin folder contents on startup. If they do not try renaming the Aloha directory on each terminal and running "term setup" on each terminal.
This assumes all other settings on the fileserver and the terminals are connect. This also assumes the terminal specific ssettings in the prior post are correct.

No uplink unless you are using a crossover cable.
Assuming the terminals come to the cannot locate fileserver error screen?
Is the LANA number associated with the NIC Aloha is using set to zero?
Is there a "Z" drive on the terminals mapped to \\ALOHABOH\BOOTDRV ?
Is drive that Aloha is installed on shared as BOOTDRV with full access on the fileserver?

Thanks for the all the input on this guys. It turns out my problem was that Netbui was interfering with TCP/IP. That is why the foh and the server were not syncing. Well I hope this can help some of you in the future =).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back