Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal services

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackietpy

Technical User
Dec 21, 2003
MY
Hi,

Does any one can suggest to me how to calculate the server specification if I just want to use the terminal services to connect to internet (through the Windows server) with about 20 unit thin client (can be any brand)? Is it any different if I'm using the Win2k server and Win 2003 server ?

Does any one know about this software name WinConnectServer XP ( It claim that it can connect up to 21 Simultaneous Remote Desktop Connections. If any one tried to software before, can you please give some comments about this software.

Thank you in advanced

JT

Currently I have a Terminal server used for internet connections myself. At one point, we had about 20 people logged in and hitting the internet all at the same time. We are running Windows Server 2000 with TS. The question for you is, how much money do you want to spend, and what do you really want the system to do?

Hi ,

At the meantime, we just want to connect the thin client to the Internet only. In future, maybe we will try to see whether this thin client can some simple multimedia file like video clip.

JT

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2650 with dual P4 processors, 2Gb RAM and 3x36Gb hard drive (RAID-5). Windows 2k

It handles 20 users easily.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

dearingkr's server would be able to handle more than 40 concurrent users. Must ask though, what are your connection speeds?

The server I have is nothing more than an old Dell Precision 530 that we bumped up. Dual Processor, and a GB of RAM. Depending on your funding/growth requirement, will depend on your server. I notice you have stated that multimedia files may be played. I must warn you, a terminal server can cause delays in the media, of course, this will all depend on your connection. I would not recommend having anything below a 100MB drop to the server. Prefered having a GB drop in your case.

Hardware can not always be the solution, from personal experience I have found that terminal services can become slow if 10 users for example are using an application that is heavy, for example something that connects to a sql server and executes loads of queries and so on, if 10 users are doing that from the same server it can become very slow.

napoleao,
You are correct, but terminal services will become slower if it is pushing video intensive images. In your case, I think that sitting at the machine itself would cause delays. Have to account for all connection speeds as well. If you have a machine sitting on a 10MB drop, and the TS sitting on a GB drop, you will still only get a 10MB response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back