Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TERMINAL SERVICES 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

benso

MIS
Feb 1, 2006
US
Pls i wanna understand that what is terminal service in win2000 and what its configration

This has nothing to do with Terminal Services, but check out

Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[bat]

"The past, though it cannot be relived, can always be repaired."
John La Farge (1835-1910); U.S. artist.

Terminal Services is really good. Basically it allows clients to connect to the server to use apps and all the processing is done on the server. We use the Terminal Server web client which allows our remote users to connect to the terminal server to access all applications such as ERP systems, Email and network files via the web (using firewall authenication). As all the processing is done on the server it works well on a dial up.

TightVNC and other VNC products are great, but if you can use Terminal Services, it can't be beat. Even over a WAN its lightning fast.

But don't forget the 2 modes, application and administrative. Application you HAVE to have TS Licenses before 90 days. Your 90 day trial period WILL end and your clients won't be able to connect after that.

Administrative mode you don't have to activate a license server.

Remember that Win2000 pro, and XP Pro have ts licenses built in so you don't have to account for those machines as far as your license purchasing goes.

But after writing this I have a question.

If in Application Mode, and you have all 2000 or XP clients, what are the procedures for activating a license server if the licenses would never be used or do you have to? I know I have to now because we are at half and half with win2000 and win98 clients.

Thx

Dev

VNC and TightVNC are free, and TightVNC allows multiple users to access the same unit at once. With TS, if I log into a server, and someone else logs in, we can't see what each other is doing. The only thing I don't like about TS. Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

You can "shadow" with TS (more or less in the Citrix MetaFrame sense) - so you can see the other users screen exactly - by using Remote Control. Is that what you mean by seeing what each other is doing? CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

You can "shadow" with TS Don't know what you mean, but I would love to find out more about this. Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

How many users can use terminal services in application mode on a 2000 server. And where is that defined

Shadowing (sorry, I borrowed the term from Citrix) is running the user's desktop on your (the admins) desktop, and being able to watch everything they do - and even take control of the mouse and keyboard if you need to. It's incredibly powerful.

It's not really defined anywhere how many users can use T/S, because it depends on too many things;

1) How powerful the server is.
2) How many applications each user runs.
3) The type of applications being run.
4) Other things that you hadn't thought of.

The only way to tell is to run careful benchmarks for pilot groups of users before immplementation.

There are of course "rules of thumb", as in anything else;

If all users are only running MSWord or Excel, then you need about 12-20Mb RAM per user, PLUS 128Mb for the Operating system.

You can expect to get about 30 of the above type users on a single processor machine, 60 users on a dual-proc and 100 users on a quad-proc machine, so dual-proc is generally more cost-effective. This comes to about 1.5Gb RAM on a dual-proc machine for light use.

I normally spec 50 users per server, 2Gb RAM, 2x whatever processor gives best "bang for buck". For most organisations this works well. However, you need to be aware that app usage raises the bar, and thus need to get familiar with Perfmon fairly quickly!

Hope this helps

CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back