Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal services 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevint21

Programmer
Apr 25, 2001
GB
I have setup a windows 2003 server on a spare pc at work. I have installed several applications on it and the plan is to dial into it via a vpn from home and then use the applications which are on our LAN.

I have installed Terminal services but i cant activate a license for it. I have a legit copy of 2003 server.

I am going the right way about setting up a so called JUMP server? How easy is it to activate the Terminal services license.

If it is only yourself who will be accessing this machine via TS, then you only need to run it in Remote Administration mode (which doesn't need any licensing)
If multiple users will be accessing at the same time, then you will need to install TS in app mode which requires licensing. To activate a license (terminal services licensing has to be installed), you will either need your server to be connected to the internet or you will need to get the provided key that is generated from there you can contact from your machine to have it activated

If it is just you who will be using the server (or a maximum of two people using the server), then you do not need to activate Terminal Services as the server will allow 2 connections (plus the console) to access the server in Administration mode.

If there are more than two people, you will have to purchase some TS CALs

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

If memory serves, you have a 120 grace period after installing Terminal Services before you have to have a Licencing Server. During this period TS should work OK.

The machine is connected to the net ok through our LAN.

Around 10 users will login at weekends on a rota system and check the alarms from switches/routers. I take it i need 10 licenses (1 for each).

I think i'll try and buy a few to get started.

keep this in mind.... each (user's) device will be distributed a terminal server license at logon. Their client will then hold this license for 90 days, even if they never connect again within the next 90 days. There is no way to free up a terminal server license once it has been distributed.

As your server is Windows 2003, you'll need to add your remote users to the "Remote Desktop" local group on the server, so that they can log in.

Kevin - Reread TheLad's comments.

If you have no need to support more than 2 users CONCURRENTLY at any one time (3 if you include the console) then you don't need to go to full TS. You can continue to use Remote Admin mode.

NB You need to make it clear to those users that they MUST logoff at the end of the session, not just disconnect or they'll block access for anyone else.

Neill

To add onto ntinlin's post, I would set a GPO to logoff any disconnected session after a certain period of time. I have mine set to 10 minutes. No matter how many times I tell people to logoff the correct way, they just don't get it.

Scott

Well if they are checking alarms from routers and switches then they are presumably admins of one form or another and should know better.

Oh, but wait a minute, such rules would only be for 'normal' users not admins so they'd definitely get ignored. :-D

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back