Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtevensorrison

Technical User
Feb 22, 2006
GB
hello & good morning

I have just had one of the most frustrating mornings of my short IT career!

it involved server 2003 & terminal services which i usually have no prolems with at all!

first thing this morning one of our susres could not access terminal services, it was freezing on the desktop with uot displaying any icons, i then tried to log off and the session froze on the log off screen!

i then accessed the terminal service manager and disconnected and reset the session, when i attempted to open terminal services again i had the same results!

i then rebooted the terminal service server, the session then opened, but i could not access any programs as they would freeze on the launch screen!

i then rebooted all our server, terminal service server, sbs Server, and our CTI server!

does anyone have any knowledge of terminal services as i struggle to find any real info on the web!

any help would be much appreciated!

thank you

Steven

Steven first thing, does this behaviour only apply to this one user. Before rebooting the server, always check to see if more than one user is experiencing the problem. If it's only this one user, it could be that this user's profile is corrupted. If this is the case, try deleting and re-creating his profile. Hope this helps.

Had this a few weeks ago. Single user with issues like you described. Deleted their profile and set up again. Has been fine ever since.

Steven,

It could be a profile corruption again but sometime the client (thin client) itself could be faulty. You can try login on another thin client workstation. You may want to test the same user on another machine first.

note that rebooting a server is or should be the last option. expecially on TS as there is several sessions running. Before rebooting you should consider that you have tried all possible options and it didn't solve your problem.

You may want to compare his profile to known working profile and see the difference between them. If you delete the profile, you do it in the system properties right?

The fact that you got only one user with this behaviors point automatically on the profile.

Thanks for the imput guys!

however, this was happening with more then one profile!

although some profiles had access and some didnt, the reboot seemed to take care of the problem!

Can someone please give me a list of things to check before i should be re - booting the server!

Thanks again

Steven

Check memory usage, if your PF is high then that will cause slow login. Could be an app is using a lot of memory.

Thanks for that, i will try and keep an eye on memory usage!

Ive just checked the MAXMEM on the appserver and it is set at 2048!

should this be changed to 256 or will it make any difference!

thanks again

I'm having a similar problem. Moved a server from 2000 server to 2003 server. We use Terminal Services and since the move 2 of my users have developed 'corrupted profiles'. Thing is these profiles don't really seem to be corrupt. If I reboot the server things are fine for a while. Then the same 2 users get the corrupted profile thing again. I suspect there's a lock on a file not being released. Are there any issues with 2003 server and TS that you know of?

Im sorry but the only real solution i have to this is to reboot, u could also check for apps which are using large amounts of memory, for a while back our print spooler was going crazy, this was because each user had their own printer profile instead of jst usin the main printer! hope this is of some help to you

Thanks you've given me an idea. When we moved to 2003 server the guy doing it made the mistake of partitioning the disk to 10gig and the rest and then installed 2003 server on the 10gig and expected 5 to 10 TS users to run in this diskspace. He has subsequently repartitioned with adequate space. I wonder if windows is now low on swap space or something and needs reconfiguring. I will go and check on this and memory issues as you suggest. Many thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back