Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal services 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEXCOMPAC

IS-IT--Management
Jul 20, 2005
US
Hi,
Im trying to configure the terminal service client on our windows 2003 but have found M$ help pages far from comforting. The purpose of this would of course be to access our server from our laptops or pda's running M$ mobile web 5. Anyone have sug. or walk-throughs?

What problems are you having?

To install you would need to access Add Remove components, and then again in Add Remove components after reboot you go into ISS and add the Web RDP component.

Have you done all this and it is not working?

Will

See, your not taking my language. This is all new to me. From what I gather, I believe they have a type of terminal services running. I need to check the router to see if there are any ports forwarded. This would help answer that question. See, I just got handed this possition and I'm learning as I go. So, any and all help is really needed plz.

BTW, I tried to hit our servers ip address with my verizon pda with the terminal service program but im timing out. This is one of the problems I am trying to fix.

Make sure that you have port 3389 forwarded on your router to the terminal server and the user add dial-in access to their account.

KM

I was reading somewhere that you need to install cals for every device or user?

Have a look at my FAQ: faq931-4850

Essentially, yes, you need a separate Terminal Server CAL for any user or device (you choose which CALS you require) which coinnects to the server.

Will

Ok, so whats better, "VPN" or terminal services? Define better, eg. ease of setup, harware restrictions etc...

I ask because of the following:
Our two servers it appears has T.S. set up for remote management only.
Our buisness is small and I worry about the cost factor of licencing and Cal purchasing....

If you're going to use Terminal Services, you MUST purchase CALs for your users/devices, and you must change Terminal Services to Application Mode.

No way around that. CALs run fairly cheap - I'd say in the $75 range per user/device.

What are you attempting to access with wireless units via TS?

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

I need the ability to for my users with laptops to be able to log onto our servers in or out of the office. They might be accessing the internet via wireless cards, lan, or Verizon cards. However, there are some individuals who need access to our files stored on our database.

TS for remote management only is not really TS. You are only allowed 2 log-ons at any time (administrative-management logons). In order to set up TS for more than 2 users you will have to turn on "proper" TS.

As to your VPN question, if your users are logging into the server via VPN, using their home desktop, then TS is not necessary. However, there are security concerns because their desktop would need to be allowed on the network, and you cannot control if they surf in personal time and get viruses etc. If they have company laptops, it's mildly better, but they still have to connect to the internet somewhere before initiating a VPN session.

VPN and TS are totally different, and in fact many roaming employees use a VPN connection to acess their TS server.

Why? Because Terminal Service users are actually using the Terminal Server, not their local desktop (laptop). What they see locally is just the "image" of the desktop sent from the Terminal Server. This means that users do not suffer too much because of a slow connection (through the VPN for example). Using only VPN to connect to the network, they will be using their local machine to process documents and things off of the network, and so every time an update is required, it takes ages to go over the link. If you have broadband it's not as bad, but still not as good as connecting to a Terminal Server which has 100MB connection straight on your network! :)

We also worry about cost, and at my company I use an Open Source solution to connect to our network securely over SSL (Secure Sockets - You access using https:// instead of All a user needs is an Internet connection and Remote Desktop client (RDP). This is NOT VPN, but is very secure. It is easy to set up:
SSL-Explorer

We do have a Terminal Server with 20 CALS (you can get them in 5 person/device increments - I suggest you get User CALs for a small organisation. Device CALs are good if you have single machines that serveral users use to access the same Terminal Server, like a Mainframe).

In short we connect using SSL-Explorer through the Internet, and then launch RDP (TSClient) using SSL-Explorer (built in function which makes it cool), and access Terminal Server.

I hope this helps. If you'd like any more clarifications, let me know.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back