Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2005
GB
Dear all,

I need to connect to one of our windows 2000 servers via remote desktop connection. Am I right in thinking that I need to buy a license for terminal services in order to do this?

I know I can connect to xp and 2003 servers as it already has the software built in.

Thanks in advance.

Karl

No you do not.

Go to Add Remove programs and click on Add Windows Componenets. Select Terminal Services from the list of components and install it. You will be prompted at to whether you want Application Mode or Remote Admin mode. Select Remote Admin mode. You'll need access to an i386 folder too.

Licensing is needed when you are installing application mode. XP and Win2k3 simply have Remote admin mode installed (though you have to enable them)

Microsoft Certified Nut.

SgtBeavis is exactly right. I use TS for remote admin at all my client sites. Its a pretty straight forward setup as described.

Just went through the licensing thing myself here. IF your terminal server is Win2K and even if you are in application mode, if the client is Win2k PRO or WinXP Pro, you do not need a MS Terminal CAL License. This is NOT true if you upgrade to Terminal Server 2003.

-SWarrior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back