Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services with no Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazylife

Technical User
Jan 28, 2002
GB
Dear all

I have one Win 2000 Server at a remote site with no domain. TS is a great way to control this server for admin tasks etc. I have set up TS on many servers so am not a novice, however I can not logon to the new TS server. I connect to it, but it gives the very standard response that the logon credentails are wrong.

This is the same response you would get if you were to try and logon to your desktop PC with the wrong credentials.

Username and passwords are correct - admin rights are correct. No Firewall issues.

Could it be that the TS server needs to be in a domain? Looking in the net there does not seem to be a definitive answer. Please help someone :)

If you are trying to logon using a username that has no password set you will not be able to logon, a password must be set. Cant really think of anything else.... possibly try and create a new user on that server and try and logon with that username and password.

Are you trying to connect to it from a domain? If so its probably trying to authenticate based on a DomainName\Username principal. Try ServerName\LocalUserName in the username box.

Hi All

Thanks for your posts. It turns out that there is a problem with the SAM. I have deleted it, recreated user accounts and passwords and all is well. Very bizzare as local logon with the accounts was fine. However it would seem that once upon a time this server was part of a domain but was removed. I don't know where, but it must have a "shadow" of that domain.

Guess the registry needs some investigating. However now I have a copy of 2003, this server looks like a candidate for a rebuild so it can be the 2003 test bed!

Once again many thnaks for your posts. Hope this is of use to you all as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back