Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services stuck in Application server mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2008
US
Hello, I have a terminal server that is stuck in application server mode. I need to install some applications via the network from the add/remove
programs menu. However I cannot do this while the server is in application server mode. If I go to a command prompt and run the change user command to install mode, it tells me that the user session is ready to install applications - however in the add/remove programs menu it still says that the server is running in application server mode. If I try to install the application anyway, the install doesn't run - it won't even launch. We've also tried restarting the server. Nothing has worked. Please help - I've had some people recommend removing and re-adding terminal services but that would be a last option since that would probably break citrix. This is a 2003 R2
server.

Ive seen this with some select few apps if you are trying to install from an RDP session, some apps need to be installed at console. So either try sitting at the physical server console and installing it or install it from an RDP console session with the following command.

mstsc /v:yourserverip:3389 /admin

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

I'd do the combination:

mstsc servername / console

Then change user /install
Install app
chance user / execute

I actually am sitting at the console when I try to install the application. I'm not rdp'd in. Does that make a difference?

I had this with an app that I was trying to install once. What I did was change user/install and then rather than use add/remove programs I used the setup.exe file from the CD or install point to install the program. Then U did a change user/execute and rebooted the server. The new app showed up in add/remove programs and worked like a charm.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back