Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services RemoteApp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmorr34

MIS
Jul 10, 2007
US
I was wondering if there was something for Windows Server 2003 similiar to the Terminal Services RemoteApp on Windows Server 2008?

Here is a description of Remote App for 2008 "RemoteApp programs are programs that are accessed remotely through Terminal Services and appear as if they are running on the end user's local computer. Users can run RemoteApp programs side by side with their local programs."

What I am wanting to do is enable users to use Adobe Professional without having a copy installed on each computer. And yes they will also be licensed.

Thanks.

no not native to Server '03.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

You can, but it is really just a remote desktop session that is locked down with group policy to just be the application they need. Essentially, the GP removes all explorer capabilities and leaves only the application running upon log in.

But as allywilson stated; Citrix is the best solution for what you want. Especially for "programs side by side with their local programs

I have played with this product a bit, seems interesting enough. You can play with it for free(limited to 1 server and 5 connections), reasonably priced as well.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

We actually are in the process of rolling out Remote App on a Server 2008 environment here. So far, the setup has been really quick and simple. Once we have it completely in place I'll come back and let you know how it's working.

Just a heads up...
There is a feature in TS 2008 that lets you put application shortcuts on a web page so you just give out the URL to staff and they get to a page with loads of apps.
My warning is that we've had issues with clients running Windows XP 64bit and displaying the page, they just get a big red X. Could be to do with XP 64 not having SP3 or Remote Desktop 6.1 I think.

Anyway, hope that info may help you a bit.
We only run 3 XP 64bit workstations and didnt really need the web portal so haven't bothered finding a work around.

b

they just get a big red X

Perhaps this is just the activex side of things? Have you tried accessing it with the 32bit IE instead of the 64bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back