Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services reconnecting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2002
BE
I maintain a few servers for our clients using Terminal Services. Last week something occured to me, on one server when I close the terminal services session with the x off that window and later I reconnect to that server, the same session is being reconnect. Example, when I started notepad before closing the session and I reconnect, notepad is still open.
On a other server I've tried to do the same thing, but it doesn't same to save to session. Is this a settings somewhere that I should enable or disable?

Thx,

Sense

Instead of clicking on X to close the window, you have to go to start, shutdown, log off user to close the terminal session.

I know, but why does this message appear that the session will be continued when you reconnect and actually it's not. It work on one server, so why not on the other?
The message is this:

This will disconnect your Windows session. Your Programs will continue to run while you are disconnected. You can reconnect to this session later by logging on again.

Sense.

Could be a simple case of your session on that one server being reset due to its terminal services configuration. IE, it may have a setting which says that after 5 hours in a disconnected state, your session will be reset. The other one may have a more relaxed configuration which never resets your connection. To check have a look as such:

To set time-out settings for disconnected, active, and idle sessions

Open Terminal Services Configuration.
In the console tree, click Connections.
In the details pane, right-click the connection for which you want to modify time-out settings, and then click Properties.
On the Sessions tab, above End a disconnected session, select the Override user settings check box.
This allows you to configure time-out settings for the connection.

Configure the following time-out settings as appropriate:
In End a disconnected session, select the maximum amount of time that a disconnected session remains on the server. When the time limit is reached, the disconnected session ends. When a session ends, it is permanently deleted from the server. Select Never to allow disconnected sessions to remain on the server indefinitely.
In Active session limit, select the maximum amount of time that a user's session can remain active on the server. When the time limit is reached, either the user is disconnected from the session or the session ends. When a session ends, it is permanently deleted from the server. Select Never to allow the session to continue indefinitely.
In Idle session limit, select the maximum amount of time that an idle session (session without client activity) remains on the server. When the time limit is reached, either the user is disconnected from the session or the session ends. When a session ends, it is permanently deleted from the server. Select Never to allow idle sessions to remain on the server indefinitely.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Thx Claudius, that was excately what I needed!! I've marked your post with a star ;-)

Sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back