Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services problem server not connecting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentrunning52

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2004
I have a Windows 2000 server and have installed Terminal Services. It is a domain controller and after installing terminal services I can not make a remote connection or a local connection on the network. When I try to connect I get the standard "server may be to busy, etc." I have run throught the Microsoft Information on this problem with no success. The odd thing I notice about this problem is when I go into the Terminal Services Manager I can not connect to the terminal services server. I get the message "you could not be authenticated on this server". I have not seen this before with terminal services. Local policy allows local login for administrators and internet users so at this point I am looking for any suggestions. Thanks

Have you checked the "terminal Services Configuration" msc

is the connection "enabled", had this reset to disabled a couple of times, if certain TS problem occurred.

Perhap you could uninstall TS, reboot and reinstall the service.

This will fix ya! Go into your Terminal Services Configuration, then click on Permissions, you need to add System and grant all the permissions. Happy Thanksgiving to All :>

The connection is enabled and have removed and reinstalled once. I will check the permissions in configuration - Thanks.

Permissions for connection show system, administrator and users with proper controls for each. still can't connect to server. Only other interesting problem is when I disable the connection I get an error " Unable to complete operation, internal error has occurred". Then if I exit TS configuration and go back in it is disabled. Same error occurs on enabling the connection.

is this terminal server in application mode, if so install terminal services licensing on the pc and activate the server.

Nick

yes I am running server in application mode and the license server is up and running and activated. My clients are all Win2K pro and WinXP pro so they don't need a CAL it is already included in the operating system.

Here was the solution to the problem. I got help from Microsoft to solve the problem. There was a corrupt Terminal Services registry key. The following key was corrupt - HKEY\LOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService. The fix was to import a good key from a working TS server and reboot the server. This fixed the problem completely. Thanks for all the input I hope this proves useful to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back