Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

terminal services on win2000 pro???

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadedecho

Programmer
Oct 4, 2002
US
I know it doesn't make much sense but I have need for a system which is running win2k pro to have terminal services running on it so I can connect via remote desktop connection and manage it. I have tools like RealVNC which do something similar, but I really would like to have the terminal services running on it. I've read the standard answer that this cannot be done, but I'm suspicious about that, it seems like there would probably be a way to do it and so I'm asking if anyone knows how?

There is only two ways I know of to accomplish what you want. One is to change the Win 2K Pro PC to Win 2K Server. The other is to change the Win 2K Pro PC to Windows XP. Windows Terminal Services is built into the core architecture of the operating system. Only Windows XP and Windows 2000 Server have this built into it; otherwise you'll have to rely on third party applications (I recommend Dameware).

Windows 2K has what they call Remote Desktop built into it. This is a version of Terminal services however I do not know if its possible to setup to allow 1 to connect to run the PC. I use pcanywhere typically for this. If Remote Desktop is able to allow this that would be a great piece of information to get a hold of!

copy file ADMINPAK.MSI from W2K server cd or from server on your local machine. it exist under c:\winnt\system32, after copying double click on this file, it will install all tools and then you can connect your servers through terminal services manager.

Hope it will help you.

Naveed

Knowledge is a key of success.

SQLBaby-
I did so, and it installed it correctly with no errors. But it appears what this has installed is the terminal services management consoles. It has not actually installed the terminal service itself, which is what I need. I want my win2kpro box to have the termserv.exe service running on it so I can connect to it from another machine. do you know how I can do this?

I asked the same question.
everyone said a microsoft terminal server on win2k is not possible

Swimpy ;)

ok click start + Administrator Tools + Active Directory Users & Computers + click on red cross (Active directory users + connect domain + "Enter your domain name" then press OK + click on "+" sign then click on computers, here you can see what you want

Knowledge is a key of success.

ok... so i checked "Services" and there was no "Terminal Services" running or even in the list. So, I have since manually copied over the termsrv.exe and associated DLL's from a win2k server to this computer. I then went through a tedious process of copying over like 20 different registry keys. When I rebooted, I now have "Terminal Services" as a service running. Still I cannot connect to this computer. So I figure it must be a configuration issue. Well, I don't have the Terminal Services Configuration snap-in, so I try to copy that over. First it gave me an error about not finding some CLSID. So I manually copied another registry key with that matching CLSID and that error went away. Now, I have an error when i start the snap-in that simply says "The snap-in did not initialize correctly".

So it appears I am getting close, but I can't figure out how to get the management console snap-in installed and to run properly so i can set up the service.

anyone know how to manually install that snap-in?

keif- that's not very helpful... don't you think maybe I have a reason for wanting to use terminal services?

Shadedecho, Yeah...But, it cant be done?!?! I dont know your reason. Maybe, if you told us it, we could tell you ways of workarounds.

Copying thefiles is not enough.
You must INSTALL the service aswell (you can't do that with services.msc). try remote task manager

Swimpy ;)

i already have the "Terminal Services" service running under "Manage My Computer". I did that by copying files and duplicating the registry keys. So, the service IS installed. I just need the .msc management console snap-in to run, so i can adjust the settings of the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back