Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal services on W2K without AD Help me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexxxy

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
AU
Hi all,

I have a W2K server running Terminal Service as an
application server. It is part of a network where the
domain controller etc.. Are all runnning NT4.0. Therefore
there is no active directory.

Can someone please tell me how I can stop clients from
logging onto a TS session and then having access to shut
down the TS Server? Also further to this I would like to be able to lock down a few menus (control panel etc..).

It has been suggested to purchase 3rd party applications which can do this, but I am quite confident that there is a free solution.

Any help appreciated

go to your server that is running terminal servers and run the local security policy in the local pl=olices you will find a setting that will stop the clients from being able to shut down the system

Sumaya

Also take a look at poledit- run this from the command prompt on the server this might help you with your lock down

Thanks for your suggestions. But I have a couple more questions. When I run poledit, I dont know where to start. Do I create every user on the system? Or can I setup a Terminal Services user which has the settings I want and an Administrator which has no restrictions?

I cant see where I can apply the changes to a certian user or a group of users? And If I am applying to a group of users. How do I add the users to the group?

The users are not local users to the machine, they are being authenticated by the existing NT4.0 servers.

thanks for any info

Go to start, settings, task bar & start menu. Click on the advanced tab. The 3rd check box down is display log off. Once you do this, right above shut down you have a log off "user" button. Instruct your users to use this. Had to drive to clients before & turn the server back on as they could not figure it out.

Hi, thanks but shut down is still an option!! Any more suggestions?

I am not sure how to do it in 2k (if you can) but in NT TS there is a file called ntconfig.pol and you can open it with the policy editor. I dont know if this helps but in 2k there still might exist this option. Can you reinstall the TS server and put AD on it?

Jason
Rich Cook -- "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

If the users are not in the Group Admin they can't shutdown the server. Make sure on this server that they just are part of the users group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back