Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services logg off / shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillieLoMain

Technical User
May 30, 2001
US
I am about to roll out my first application server under TS. Previously I have used only admin mode and have therefore never concerned myself with non admins gaining acces to the machine.

When a user has finished a TS session and is ready to log off - I am concerned that they could shut the server down by accident or on purpose.

Is there a way to set shut down permissions to prevent the user from doing anything but logging off?

Thanx in advance.

what is the difference between a log off and a disconnect?

Also - If I can prevent a USER from disconnect - thereby forcing a logoff - how is that done?

thanx

you can force a user to log off using the Terminal Services Configuration Manager (under the Administration Tools folder). Click on the Connections folder, right click on the Connection Type icon in the right window, select Properties, click on the Sessions Tab, snap the Overide User Settings Box, and you can select how and when to disconnect a user. Explore all of the Properties dialogue box for cool things you can do.
Good Luck,

The difference between a logoff and a disconnect is that when a user disconnects they are technically still logged on the machine and whatever applications they have open will still be there when they reconnect to the TS server. Logoff will close all applications, terminate the remote user's session and RDP connection.

Paul

Get to your domain policy>computer configuration>windows settings>security settings>Local policies>User rights...shut down the system (fix users u need to be able to shut down system)

I just used MMC and the local computer policy snap-in to remove the shut down feature from the start menu (we only have the one W2K member server so we aren't using AD... pity I know). I then saved the console to the admin tools folder and whenever I need to restart the server, I just disable the setting until I am done.

Hope this helps,

Corie

You can shut down a TS if you are a local admin. OR you can use local security policy to stop even certain people being able to do it.

More on this topic.

I have a USER on this sys that comes in with Remote Desktop Conection.

He has a bad habbit of x-ing out from the RDC tab that persists at the top of the screen during the session.

It seems this is essentially a disconnect and doing this is a pain becasue it allows him to maintain access to some files while he is disconnected and interferes with backup etc.

Is there a way to prevent him from doing anything but a log off.

I have looked through the items above and do not see the answer there.

I am not running AD.

Thanx in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back