Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerami1

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2003
US
A while ago, I noticed that the Windows 2000 DC that had the Terminal Services Licensing piece installed was gone. Totally gone! I had 2 10 pack license keys installed. I am guessing that after SP4 was installed that this had something to do with this mysterious disappearance.
Anyway, I installed the Licensing piece on another 2000 DC in the same domain and also the 2 10 packs of TS licenses. I found out recently that some of our TS users that had been issued license tokens in the past are getting a message that their TS temp licenses will expire in 10 days. After looking in the Licensing Manager, I noticed that a few licenses had been issued, but not very many. I am wondering if these clients that had been issued tokens before are now having issues finding the new licensing server. I know that the token gets stored in the registry so unistalling and reinstalling the TS client will not help. The workstations in question are Win98SE. I also noticed in the 'Existing Windows 2000 Licenses' category in the License manager that their are only 2 machine names showing. There should be a whole pile of machine names for 2000 and XP clients listed. Any one seen this before or have any suggestions on how to make these clients see the new licensing server?

Thanks!

It seems strange that you would have to do this. There was a fix that came out that would have been included in sp4 that allowed clients to look/renew from another TS licence server, even though the client obtained the licence from a different server.

were both your servers on sp4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back