Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services Licensing Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

irregular

MIS
Apr 24, 2002
GB
Hi,

We are planning to install terminal services on Win2K server, for 2 remote users. The TS will be a stand-alone/member server of an NT 4 domain.

I know I will need a Licensing Sevice running somewhere, to enable the Terminal Services CALs.

Although Microsoft do not recommend it, is it possible to put the License Server on the Termainal Server?

OR

Is it possible to do the Windows 200 TS CAL licensing on an NT 4 Server Box.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Irregular

I have setup many Win2k server's for small companies that can just afford one server and putting the licensing on the same TS never affected the perfomance of the server. I think you would be fine to put it on the Win2k server.
I am not sure bout putting the licenses on the nt 40 machine I have never done that before. Is the nt 40 machine a domain controller?

Dmasch,

It could be a DC, BDC or Stand-alone. I think Microsoft don't recommend putting the License on any kind of DC.

However the plot thickens.

As it likely that both the connecting clients are to be Win2K professional or WinXP Pro boxs (And these clients get "free" CALs), maybe I will not need the License server after all.

Ever tried that?

If not, I'll report back and share the knowledge around.

Thanks,

Irregular

We have TS installed on all of our W2K servers. By default you get two admin licences to work with if your running per server. If you need to have other people access it, then you'll have to choose the per seat option and not the per server. Haven't had any problems with TS, even though one of the servers is in another town. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Don't take a fence down until you know why it was put up".
Robert Frost (1874 - 1963); U.S. poet.

We have TS installed on all of our W2K servers. By default you get two admin licences to work with if your running per server. If you need to have other people access it, then you'll have to choose the per seat option and not the per server. Haven't had any problems with TS, even though one of the servers is in another town. (If your'e confused about ts though, you can always install TightVNC. This is a freeby software off the internet with the option to share screens, so more than one person can access a server at the same time and see what each other is doing.) Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Don't take a fence down until you know why it was put up".
Robert Frost (1874 - 1963); U.S. poet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back