Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services licensing - I don't understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Mar 19, 2003
GB
Hi, I have installed TS on a server and am not sure of how to setup the licensing, do I need to install TS license manger, does the administrator need a license, how long does TS run before it expires.

As you can see I am totally confused and need it explained in simple terms.

A

you need to purchase one licence for each machine that is going to connect to the terminal server. If u use the admin mode then you have two sessions allowed for each terminal server. this is great if you want to admin remotely your terminal server and is installed by default. otherwise you will need app mode and a licence for each machine. you have ninety days to set this up. goto

for windows 2000 server

for windows 2003 server

that will answer your questions

Client licenses are only needed for Windows 9x clients. Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP professional clients have Terminal Services client licenses built into the operating system.

XP machines have the newest TS Client and uses the Remote Desktop Protocol. The RDP connector, pre-installed with XP can be downloaded and installed on Win2k and Win9x clients.

TS Client licenses must be purchased and applied before the 90 days (from initial installation of the RDP Connector) has transpired. Without a license, after 90 days the TS Connection will stop working.

The RDP client will be available from start->programs->accessories->communication after the install. Alternatively enter mstsc at the run command. Have Fun

Go to microsoft.com and download the RDP connector (msrdpcli.exe) for installation on your non XP machines. Read further at microsoft.com about Terminal Server licensing. I believe they're about $16/per.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back