Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services License

Status
Not open for further replies.

usuallyconfused

Technical User
Oct 26, 2003
GB
From the moment you install terminal services on 2003 Server, you have 120 days to install the licenses. Is there a way to find out how much time you have left, assuming you don't know when it was started?

Help! I have just read the following on the Microsoft web site:

"A Windows Server 2003-based terminal server communicates only with a Windows Server 2003-based Terminal Server License Server."

and

"Configure a Terminal Server License Server on a computer other than the one on which you have just configured the terminal server role."

I have just set up Terminal Services (working very nicely, thank you) on a 2003 server which is on an NT domain with W2K workstations. Have I made a monumental mistake? How can I license the server before the 120 days run out?

Put the TS license server on the NT PDC...

No...

The first part was right. A 2003 licensing server is REQUIRED for terminal servers running on 2003 in application mode. A 2000 licensing server will not work for 2003 terminal servers and neither will NT.

You can install the licensing server on the same server as the terminal server. I read the second recommendation, but it will work fine.

"You can install the licensing server on the same server as the terminal server. I read the second recommendation, but it will work fine."

Excellent. Just what I needed to know. Thanks.

When you install Terminal Server in administration mode you don't need licensing but when you install in application mode you need to install licensing server. After you install Terminal Server license you will need to activate licensing. There will be a new utility in administrator tools for Terminal server licensing. After you do this Microsoft will give you a License # to install. There are no additional license to buy beyond Server 2003 Cals. It will provide unlimited license to Windows 2000 and above workstations only. Good Luck I hope this helps.

dowsley

Nope, sorry.

If you have a 2003 terminal server, ALL devices MUST have a separate TS CAL. This is different from Windows 2000 terminal servers.

Windows 2000 terminal servers allowed Windows 2000 and XP Pro clients to connect using the built in CAL. This meant that you did not need to buy additional TS CALs for your Windows 2000 and XP boxes.

But if you want to connect 2000 and XP workstations to a 2003 terminal server, you absolutely must buy separate TS CALs for them.

When you install a 2003 terminal server, you have a 120 day grace period to install and activate the license server. After installing and activating the license server, you have another 120 day grace period to install CALs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back