Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services Licence 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

juruk

Technical User
Jul 31, 2003
US
I have location where I am using TS server on the same server with 2 licenses purchased from Microsoft. Initially when I installed the TS for some reason the 2 PC’ were getting the temporary licenses the one form the 90 days evaluation. Now the 90 days expired and one of my pc is able to use one license but the other one is unable to use since it is expired. I have license per device and I in the TS manager says that I have 2 available one in use, and one available but one of the pc’s is not able to get in to the TS. Does any one know why this is happening and why at the beginning TS provides the temporary TS licenses not the one purchased?
Any help appreciated.
juruk

It's normal for the systems to use the temporary licenses for the first 90 days. That's to make sure that systems that we're really going to be committed to production or were 1-shot usages don't end up taking a permanent license.

As far as your problem with the other system... I need to make sure my assumptions are right. Are you running 2003? Do you have a separate license server, or did you install Terminal Services Licensing on this server? What OS are your clients?

What you describe makes me wonder if you are running a Windows 2003 server with a licensing server installed and activated. It sounds more like a Windows 2000 situation. Can you clarify?

Thanks,

ShackDaddy

Yes it is windows 2003 server with XP clients.

It's normal for the systems to use the temporary licenses for the first 90 days. That's to make sure that systems that we're really going to be committed to production or were 1-shot usages don't end up taking a permanent license.

Maybe if you only log in once in 90 days, otherwise no. A client will get a temp license on the first sucessful logon. The license will be upgraded to perm upon the second sucessful logon.

On the client that doesn't get a license, try going into the registry and browse to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSLicensing. Right click MSLicensing and delete the entire key (including all subkeys). Then see if the client can logon. Again, make sure you logon at least twice to see if it pulls a permanent licence.

any way to delete a permanent license, cos sometimes you connect more than once for testing purposes, then you rename your PC.....

did they allow for this kind of thing??

Thanks mlichstein, it looks that your tip helped. Thanks a lot.
Juruk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back