Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bealy

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2002
AU
All of our dialup clients only are getting an error message saying "Network or Dialup connections are preventing access to the Citrix Server." On the server the event log says it could not hand out a terminal services client licence. This even happens on new Windows 2000 PCs that shouldn't need then licence. When one of the clients brings the laptop in to head office and connects through the network card it works fine.
Also if you delete the Registry key HKEY_LM\Software\Microsoft\MSlicencing\Store\Licence000
it connects for one session only.

Can anyone please help.

It is a licensing issue.
Most likely none of your terminal servers does not have any connection to a terminal server licensing service.

This service MUST be installed and activated irrespect of the client needs a TSCAL or not.
So, the solution to your problem is to install the TS licensing service (on a domain controller or licensing server) and activate it, that will make some magic.

The registry branch you were referring to is the TS CAL on the client.

//Chris

Can you use your Citrix server itself as the licencing server, because that is what we have set up. Maybe that is the problem, what do you think?

Hi!
If the servers is in a domain, you can't. The the service has to be run on a domain controller or equivalent.
(the service is refused to start, microsoft technology)

If the servers are in a workgroup, then it is ok.

Good luck!

//chris

For clarification sake, if the Citrix server is in a Windows 2000 domain you can't. If it is in a Windows NT domain or a workgroup you can.

Jeff for Clarification..

You can according to this Q-doc from MSKB.

Anyone else know any different. I have Terminal services licensing running on a member server (but I am in an NT Domain not a W2K Domain)

Check out...

Establishing Preferred Windows 2000 Terminal Services License Server

To select a specific license server for use with various Microsoft Windows 2000 Terminal Services servers in a domain or site, you can modify the registry to point to a particular license server. You can do this to specify that all Terminal Services servers work with a particular license server for accounting purposes, or if a Terminal Services server and the license server reside in different domains.

Hi!

In a W2k domain, the service CANNOT run on metaframe application servers,it must be on a domain controller/equivalent.

In a NT domain, the service CAN run on a metaframe application server.

I am also having licensing issues I can't seem to resolve. I have read through the Microsoft supplied Licensing White paper as well as what I could find on the posts but am still missing something.
A new client login from Win2K PC to a published app times out with "Connection not available" and then an Event ID 1004 which seems to mean a licensing server could not be found.
My licensing server is activated, has 4 licenses left in the pool and is running on the one and only Metaframe box which is also a Backup Domain controller.
Everything has operated fine for 2 years until now. There are no event errors to suggest any other problems with DNS, ADS, or anything else.
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Chrishelvey

Sounds like you have the exact same errors as me. Event ID 1004. i have a mixed NT/2000 domain. I just activated 20 new Terminal Services Client licences and it did not fix it. Have you or anyone else out there learned any more about this. i will be researching and post any findings.

Bealy

I had this problem and deleted the license 0 entry which didn't help so I deleted the entire store key which worked....

Update on the license error: Called Microsoft and reactivated the server - no help. Opened a MS incident and they had me try connecting with the RDP client (with no license in the registry) - It worked, the client then got a license and connected. After that, the Citrix client worked, so it seems that the Citrix client or some piece of the ICA client/server relationship is not negotiating a license from the Citrix host. MS tech said he has known of times when after a restore (which is what started this problem) people have had to call Citrix to have pieces of Metaframe re-installed. So, here I am....
I'll keep looking with the hopes there is an answer without having to re-install Metaframe and go through the hassle of re-licensing IT.

I have found the fix. Windows2000 Service Pack 3. Thanks for the advice anyway.

Bealy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back