Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services Busy

Status
Not open for further replies.

calval

MIS
Mar 6, 2002
US
I am trying to connect to a W2K server running TS.
I keep getting an error stating it is busy, try again later.
I have followed the directions Microsoft recommends, because this problem seems to have been caused by one of there security patches.
Believe it or not, there solution, didn't work.

Here is the event log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: TermService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1014
Date: 4/30/2002
Time: 1:07:20 PM
User: N/A
Computer: PARROT
Description:
Cannot load illegal module: C:\WINNT\System32\rdpwsx.DLL.

I tryed replacing the dll, reinstalled sp2, re-installing ts.

Any help would be appreciated

Has this setup ever worked? Are you going through a Firewall to get to this TS? If you are, you will need to open ports 3389 tcp, 1494 tcp and ports 80..(I think, you can find more info on MS website).
Can you get to this TS from inside the LAN? If not, check the settings on the TS and make sure you can get to it from the inside before you go from the outside.

Technically, the only port I have open is 3389 and it works fine. Port 80 if you want to install tsweb to issue active x controls to computers.

Also, one other thing. Try uninstalling adminpak and re-installing it from a sp2 machine. I seem to remember an issue with pre-SP2 adminpak.msi files not being able to handle the upgraded encryption from sp2. But this was only for high security setting in TS. The default at install is medium.

I am not going through a firewall. I am trying to connect within my LAN. This setup has worked in the past.
The settings are the same as they are on my other w2k server I connect to. And there are no issues there.
If anyone can think of anything else, that would be great.
In the mean time I will continue to whack my head against the wall

thanks

Check the terminal service manager. I have seen that it does not release the connections properly and keeps stale connections active. Therefore not allowing any new connections in.
You may try stopping and re-starting the service or even the server if possible.

I'm going to agree with NYR. I had something similar happen a while back. We have TS with only one license per server. In other words only one TS session at a time is allowed. I logged into a server and forgot to log off; I just hit the X at the top of the window to close it, then basically ignored the popup window asking me if I really wanted to do this. After that, I couldn't get back into the server. Had to have someone at that location stop and restart it before I could launch another TS session. Me: We need a better backup system.
My boss's boss: Backup? We don't need no stinkin' backup!

Also, if your TS server isn't activiated or whatever MS calls it, it basically stops allowing incoming connections until you do so. Hopefully someone out there can verfiy this as well. I know I ran into that situation.
Also, until the TS is activated, the client side software is good for only 30days. You can check in TS manager and look for clues.

On the client machine that won't connect, try deleteing MSLicensing registry key under HKLM\Software\Microsoft

thanks for all your input. after trying everything possible, I said stuff it and reinstalled the whole thing.
Did everything the same, and all is well.
I also think it had something to do with Teaming the nics and the proset software from intel.(ver 5.0) I used 4 this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back