Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services and Lexmark printer setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassaro

MIS
Jul 19, 2001
US
Greetings all,

I am wondering if anyone has a solution to a problem I am having with Terminal Services and a Lexmark printer.

I have loaded the print drivers on the server for a Lexmark Z32 printer that a remote user requires. I have logged in to TS as him and made sure the print driver is set as default but when he connects and tries to print the print job never makes it to him.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

Have him logon on remotely, then you logon. Go into the printer properties and point it to his remote connection on TS001 (or whatever connection he is using) prn1 and see if he can print (you should see his computer name as well).

If that works make sure you logoff first since the TS will keep the settings of the last user to logoff.

It may take some playing with but I got it to work for some of our remote users and their Win98 stations and printers.

Drew

Actually, make sure he logs off first so it keeps your changes.

(When I refer to you logging on, I am referring to the actual Windows 2000 Server)

wtfe,

Thank you for your input. Unfortunatly it did not resolve my problem.

After going out to the remote site twice to work on the problem I still cannot get this system to print. I have noticed some unusual activity regarding the printing though.
When a user logs into terminal services it creates a print driver specific to the remote user without the need for any input on either end. When a user logs off from terminal services the print driver that was created is deleted in order to clear the session. But when the problem user\printer logs on to terminal services the TS Server creates a print driver but it requires user input from the server itself for the software agreement. Then when the problem user\printer logs off the print driver that is created is not deleted. Everytime this user\printer is logged on it creates another print driver and software agreement. This problem happens no matter who is logged on at the remote site negating the possibility of a user config error.

Any input is greatly appreciated :)
Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

Additional specifics as to the cause of this problem.

We have experienced the same problem with terminal service clients that have a Lexmark Z23/33 printer connected locally. The issue is that every time a terminal services session is initiated the server creates a corresponding printer in the terminal services session for each local printer on the clients PC. This allows the user to print locally from the terminal services session. When the terminal services session is ended the printer that was created for that session is deleted (and will be recreated the next time a session is initiated).

This generally works well except for the fact that the creation of the Lexmark Printer on the terminal server requests an acceptance of the "Lexmark license agreement". Not a problem if the request to accept the license agreement was displayed in the current terminal services session for the user.......but its not, it is displayed on the server hosting terminal services. The user never sees it, and because it is not accepted the printer driver never correctly installs so that the user can print locally.

Does anyone know of away to suppress this license agreement or a compatible driver for this printer that does not request acceptance of the license?

I currently have a support request into Lexmark but have not received a response yet.

Ink2001,

I hope you hear something from Lexmark, I never did. The solution that I had to go with to correct this problem was to purchase another brand of printer. Needless to say I have not purchased another Lexmark because of my experience with this.
Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

Received a response from Lexmark. They will not support this printer in terminal services and warned that it may crash the server if the drivers were not removed.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back