Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services: Access Denied 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jag62470

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2002
US
I am trying to allow one of my users to connect to the main server without giving them Administrator rights. I added them to the Backup Operators Group and gave that group access to logon locally. They can logon locally on the machine, but when they try to connect via terminal services they get this message: You do not have access to logon to this session. Any thoughts?

Is this a domain Controller? If so you need to go to the ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS folder and then click on LOCAL SECURITY POLICY. Go to LOCAL POLICIES then USER RIGHTS ASSIGNMENT. Find the LOG ON LOCALY key and add "Terminal Server (or Services, I cant remember exactly) Users". What is happening is this I believe. You are trying to log on to a DC running Terminal Services vi a TS Client. However Terminal Services on a DC by default will not allow Terminal Server Users to log on locally. Check that and let me know if that was your issue. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Is the server operating in Admin Mode or Applicatioons Mode?

In Admin Mode, only administrator level ID's can login via TS.

In Applications mode, anyone can login that has been granted access.

That is a good point dadoalex. Thanks for bringing it up. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Also in admin mode, only two people can log on at once. Do you have others logged in. Plus, make sure the user logs off and logs back on to get the new security settings. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Don't take a fence down until you know why it was put up".
Robert Frost (1874 - 1963); U.S. poet.

Athough in order to put it into Application server mode you will need to install Terminal Server License Server. This is GOING to require Client Access Licenses. You wil need CALs for the Server AND TSCALs for Terminal Services. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

hello,
i'm the beginner with terminal services 2k,
i want to use one aplication with terminal services
with VPN (Virtual Private Network) and 15 locations (diferend city) and i have like clients win'98 and less win 2k proff.
i want to now exactly what licences (windows terminal server, clients etc.) i need and if you now some costs(lets say microsoft international prices)
Thank you

ps sorry about my english

sorry
i forgate to tell you
i need for 60 clients terminal
thank you

Have you consindered using a third party app like VNC? The new versions like tight vnc are free, and work pretty good. I have a NT4.0 server in another town, and I don't have TS installed on it at all. I only use vnc. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"We will either find a way, or make one".
Hannibal (247-183 B.C.); Carthaginian general.

You do need to connect to a MS Terminal Server license server. This server will hold all the licenses. If you have Windows 2000 clients, you don't need to buy licenses for them. You just need to get a count of non windows 2000 computers and buy Win 2K Terminal Services Client Access License per machine. If you have 50 clients licenses and you have 60 non windows 2000 computers connecting, the 10 additional client connections will use a temporary license, which expires after 90 days. After the 90 days, they will not be able to connect to the TS servers until the licenses are obtained.

You do need to connect to a MS Terminal Server license server. This server will hold all the licenses. If you have Windows 2000 clients, you don't need to buy licenses for them. You just need to get a count of non windows 2000 computers and buy Win 2K Terminal Services Client Access License per machine. If you have 50 clients licenses and you have 60 non windows 2000 computers connecting, the 10 additional client connections will use a temporary license, which expires after 90 days. After the 90 days, they will not be able to connect to the TS servers until the licenses are obtained.

How do you obtain the licenses? And after i get them, where do i input/place them? Thanks,
James
[shadeshappy] [evil]

anyone can log on to admin TS mode server. go to TS configuration in admin tools, then click connections right click RDP-TCP and go to properties. click the permissions tab in here and add any one or group to this list give them permission and walla you have it.

good luck,let me know how it goes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back