Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services (2k Server) 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibsuser

IS-IT--Management
Mar 28, 2003
GB
I have been asked to investigate a possible Terminal Server network for my company. We have limited bandwidth and i am aware we may not have enough to facilitate our users (300 over 6 sites). Can anyone tell me how much bandwidth each connection will need? As i understand it each connection means an extra 16 mb ram on the Server but cannot find anything about bandwidth. Thanks in advance.

Graham

How many users are logging on at once?

With less than 10-20 users logging on band with isn't really a major issue. Reason being, the info transfered over terminal server is only the graphical interface, and only the area in which you are working is transmitted over, therefore very little data actually comes accross the wire. I can have users connect from thier 56k modems at home and have great connectivity and speed. If your server is dual processor capable, a second processor would help a great deal.

I agree with the above post - bandwidth should not be an issue - allow roughly 50k per user and it should be fine. Latency will be your biggest enemy - check that the connections are good.

As to 16Mb per user per T/S session, that is just a rule of thumb, which assumes that users will just run "light" apps. It would be preferable to benchmark "typical" user settings, using Perfmon, if your users are likely to be doing anything other than simple Word processing.

Your second enemy will be printing, but if you're prepared, it shouldn't catch you by surprise.

Hope this helps

CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Fully agree with the things mentioned above. If bandwith becomes a problem, use citrix (ICA protocol instead of RDP). Citrix gives TS more functionality and uses the ICA protocol, which uses less bandwith (14-20k) per session.

Regards, Ferdinand

Thanks for the help on this guys. I now need to find a good consultancy \ training company to help me with the next part.

Graham

Try a Citrix Metaframe demo. It is a great investment. Citrix is actually the company which invented Terminal Services, Microsoft just bought the use of the program. Citrix Metaframe is terminal services on steroid. It works wonderfully and has many security and accessibility features. I've used Metaframe for about 3 years and have had no major issues with my users. If you'd like a referal for info let me know.

Check into Windows 2003. The terminal services are supposed to rival Citrix. We may be able to save about $200k in Citrix licensing fees if 2003 does what it says it will.

Depends how you use MetaFrame - the improvements aren't that major over Windows 2000. I've tested the RC build of Windows 2003 Server (3790).

You get:

More colours.
A fancier Remote desktop interface - but still no seamless windows.
Clipboard support.

You don't get:

Great performance over WAN
Support for non-Windows clients
Additional features like the ability to install apps on multiple servers simultaneously, Advanced monitoring, resource logging, reporting and billing, secure VPN, web portal interface, Universal Printer Driver, Delegated administration, published applications, load management or anything else that makes MetaFrame the great product it is.

Perfect for the original scenario, in fact (back to the point).

I know - I'm biased :)

CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Come on guys, since Bill has an interest (read "$$$") in Citrix, of course they're not going to make TS so good as to take away $$$ from Citrix. ;-) There will always be a disparity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back