Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal service Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfgu

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2001
US
I am running citrix, on 2000 advanced server sp4. I was running on a nt4 domain, but recently upgraded to 2003. Once I upgraded to 2003, my citrix server is no longer a Terminal Service server? It doesn't recognize it. When i got into "Terminal Service Licensing", it tell me it cannot connect to my own citrix server. Does it have to do with 2003? I had 20 cals that are lost now and users cannot login anymore.. Please help.

Thanks.

Server 2003 has its own CAL's for Terminal server. you cant use nt4 or 2000 CAL's with it. As far as the Citrix side I'm not sure about that.

But my citrix is still on 2000.. i just find it really weird that it's not even recognized as a terminal service licensed server now.. Do I have to name it a domain controller in order for it to become a licensed TS server again?

Thanks.

Are you saying you upgraded your license Server to 2003?

my licensed server is 2003... but my citrix server is still 2000... do i have to but 2003 TS cals in order for my citrix to run now?

oops.. i meant to say.. do i have to buy 2003 TS cals in order for my citrix to run on my 2000 server?

No you shouldn't have to. you may need to reinstall the license server and CAL's. 2003 terminal server license server will support 2000 and 2003 CAL's.

Did you try installing the TS license server on the 2003 again?

That's what I thought.. But it's weird now.. it doesn't list my Citrix server as a TS licensing server... any reason for that? It happened to both my citrix server and my Terminal service server. (I have 2 servers for remote login) All this happened after i upgraded my DC from NT4 to 2003. and when I try to connect to the server it says "windows cannot connect to a licensing server"..
It's really bazzar.

Windows 2000 TSCALS have to go on a DC in AD. Your WIN2K box is not allowed to be a license server for 2000 in AD. I think you will have to move the licenses to a DC.

[blue]Arguably the best cat skinner around ! [/blue]

Cheers
Scott

acutally

with win2k3 it does not have to be a DC

you need to put the appropriate reg entries into all TS servers to look at the 2003 machine

you also have the put the appropriate reg entry into the 2003 machine too (which is different from win2k) in order for it to find itself through the console

if you do not know these entries let me know and ill give them to you

but that is all that needs done.

i would avoid per device licenses however.

if the ts license server is 2003, u do have to upgrade the CALs as 2000 TS CALs will not work

the 2000 TS CALs on a 2003 server are only temporary CALs and are per device...in the long run you will mess yourself up without upgrading CALs

That makes about 10000 TS Licensing issues now for me....

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE00/03, MCSA:Messaging, MCSA03, A+
almost got a paragraph there :)

Brandon,
Thanks for your reply...
Here's the senario.
I have been running the PDC under NT4 server for a while. I purchased CAL's for the TS server (running citrix in 2000), so the XP Home users can login.

I've upgraded to 2003 DCs now, and when i go into Terminal Services Licensing, it doesn't even acknowledge that my Ts server is a TS licensing server anymore.

If i have to edit to registry to show that it's still a licensing server, please help me with the entries I need to put in.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Zhiyu

on the win2003 servers

hklm\system\ccs\services\termservice\parameters

create a key named LicenseServers (exact characters and spelling)
then create a key under there with the IP, NetBIOS name, or FQDN of the TSLicense server

the above applies to win2003 only (reference is kb279561)

on the win2000 servers

hklm\system\ccs\services\termservice\parameters

create a value named DefaultLicenseServer (reg_sz)
the data will be the NetBIOIS name of the new TSlicense server

reference for this is 239107

out of curiosity, how did you determine it could not find the license server (i assume just by opening the console)? if you use (or used) tstst, there is a bug in there and it is not always reliable as far as finding the ts license servers in win2003
the win2000 version is a little more reliable though from your actual terminal servers

-Brandon Wilson

btw, a restart of the server should not be required...just restart the ts licensing and terminal service services and you should be good to go.

occasionally some picky servers do need a restart

if this method still doesnt work...time to look at DNS and netbios communications

NOTE:
Make sure enable netbios over tcp/ip is on, on all your servers

-Brandon Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back