Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Service Licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhall51

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2001
I am running MetaFrame 1.8 with 27 user licenses. I only have about 10 users using the connections currently. One uses has now started getting a warning that in X number if days their Terminal Services License will expire. The user has been using this connection for months. No other user has reported this error yet. I can not duplicate it from other workstations. The user is on a WIN98 PC. Can anyone tell me why this user is just now getting this and how can I fix it?

That is a Terminal Server license message, is your Terminal Server activated with Microsoft and did you purchase Terminal Server CAL's for the users. When setting up a Citrix box you need to purchase Microsoft CAL's for any program that is MS, as well as Citrix CAL's for ICA connections.

TB

That is correct. I have the correct number of CAL's for MSand Citrix, and they are activated. The server has been running and providing connections since 02/01/2002. I only have one user getting this message, and it started 6 days ago.

Well, have you switched out a lot of hardware lately? The terminal services license is tied to the PC. So everytime you switch out some hardware, you will loose a license. Especially if you have users connecting through the internet, they will take a license for their PC also. It will not release the license.(EVER) You will have to go to Microsoft to get another terminal services license key code, so you can remove your current license and put in a new code. This will start the licensing process over, freeing the systems that you don't have anymore, from the license. (Trust me, I've done it.)

Hope that helps!!

Thanks for the help. I found that I do have all 25 CAL's tied up due to old computers that have been replaced. I can't seen to pull up the artical you refered to Jeff. I'll keep trying.

Just got the the Microsoft Knowledge base and search for Q287687. The first article it returns should be the link you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back