Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

terminal service & App mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITphile

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2001
IN
HI All,

Can anyone throw me some light how to change the Terminal services from Remote Administration mode to Application mode and pros and corns of changing it.

TIA
Jicks

To change the current operating mode of a Windows 2000-based server with Terminal Services enabled:

Click Start , point to Settings , click Control Panel , and then double-click Add/Remove Programs .

Click Add/Remove Windows Components .

On the Windows Components screen, click Next without selecting or deselecting anything in the list of components.

In the Terminal Services Setup dialog box, the currently enabled mode is displayed, and you can change this mode. Select the mode you want to change to, click Next , and then restart your computer.

Now the Pros and Cons.

Pros: Users can use Terminal Services for application support.

Cons: Requires Terminal Services Licenses to be installed via Terminal Services License Manager.

Does that help.
James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

What is the purpose of changing modes ITPhile? It's difficult to list the pro's and cons without some sort of understanding of the requirements you're looking for. I use terminal server in both modes quite a bit so let me know your requirements and I'll give you whatever advice i can. ciao.

Hi James Collins,

Thanks very much for the information really useful. Can you brief me more on Terminal License Manager if you don't mind. (Is MS charging for it?)

For Duckman001:

Planning to install a development tool on the server that is in 'application mode' of terminal server so that the user can use the tool for development. Is that possible and will the application mode help me do that duckman001? Please let me know.

TIA
ITphile

The licenses are only required on pre windows 2k machines.....2k and above have them built in, so you can install the license mangager and all your 2k clients will validate, anyone logging in with win98 or below will have a 90 trial period then will not be allowed login untill you actually purcase termserv licenses for them. The licenses are stored on the client so be careful loading them...what i mean is if you load 5 licenses on your server...the first 5 people that log in with win98 will take them and not give them back. There are ways to retrieve them from client machines but its not easy..your best bet is to upgrade your clients to 2k. Stephen Verrett
Network Architect
Stirling Design Group
MCSE, CCNA,

Hi Stephen Verrett,

Thanks a lot for the info. Will try to install and check out. But upgrading clients to Win 2k is impossible (Is my management hearing:))

ITphile

FeSig is correct. The licensing for TS is messed up in my opinion. Not only do you need a CAL (client Access License) on the Windows 2000 Server for anyone who is going to access it, including Terminal Server clients. But also for those who will access through TS (Terminal Server) will also need a TS license in Terminal Server License manager. Good news is TS licenses are about $25-$30 a piece. Bad news is the CAL for Windows 2000 is much higher. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Hi again ITphile. I assume from reading your other posts that this development app does not run on the older desktop platforms in your environment and you're looking to take advantage of TS to allow them to access the app via their own desktops. This is exactly what TS was meant for. Basic rules of thumb:
1) It is always better to run an app locally than via TS. Use TS only if you have no other choice.
2) If the app is buggy on a desktop it will likely be buggy on TS. (TEST TEST TEST before deployment!)
3) Apps that are leaky or are real processor hogs might not perform well in TS.(TEST TEST TEST before deployment!)
4) The licensing is a pain but don't let it scare you. The biggest issue is that installing TS on a server forces you to 'per seat' mode. 'Per Server' mode is no longer available. Installing the TSCALs you need is fairly straight-forward & well documented on the MS site.

You can write a book on TS deployment and I suggest you pick one up. One I found very handy is Windows NT/2000 Thin Client Solutions, by Todd Mathers. Any questions, let me know. ciao.

James Collins and duckman001,

Thanks alot for the posting. Will test test as per duckman001's advice before deployment.Will also read the book suggested by duckman001

Thanks alot once again gurus

ITphile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back