Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

pchan

Technical User
Jul 29, 2000
US
Does anyone know this scenario?

Eighty users using terminal session on a terminal server pounding away at a local db application. Another terminal server is used for another 40 users but this TS uses a mapped drive to get to the database on the first TS. The second TS experiences very slow performance.

Is this because Terminal Services uses most of the resources and leaves very little resource for file/print services? Has anyone seen a whitepaper on this?

Thanks,

Perry

Ah.. did you ensure that the servers are 100T connected and not trying to chunk data past a 10T hub or something? Also if the 2nd server is accessing data on the 1st server.. then the check to ensure that you have enough ram and cpu on the '2nd' server..

there are many additional 'tweaks' that are needed for running an application on a terminal server. Make sure that you have your terminal server setup as 'application server mode'

~Rick

Sorry. Maybe my original post had too much info. The servers are on 100T and both servers has 4 GIG memory and quad cpus.

The problem is that the 2nd terminal server maps to the 1st terminal server to execute a foxpro application. The forpro app performance is very slow on the 2nd terminal server. The performance is a lot quicker on the 1st terminal server which also has 80 concurrent terminal sessions.

Question. Does the windows 2000 server give most of its resources to the terminal server running on app mode? If it does, what percentage does it give to file/print services for users that map to the server to execute apps?

Thanks again.

Perry

Perry,

I've ran into this before.. I think it has to deal with the config file, tmp path, ram, etc. for foxpro. The users logging in via ts2 to use ts1 database, I believe, need to have there foxpro varibles within there loggin script. Try search the treads for config.fpw for examples..

good luck,

~Rick

Most likely is your bandwidth issue. You have 80 users having a simultaneous access and you are taxing 100mbit NIC card. Try using gigabit NIC and Switch. We used to have the same problems before and we have 120 users simultaneous loging. Now it solve the problems.

I agree. Your problem sounds like a bandwidth problem. Foxpro is NOT a client/server database app. The client is responsible for all the database activity. As-such, all the data needs to move back and forth between the file share and the client. On box #1, the bottleneck is probably the system bus (not much of a bottleneck). On system2, the bottleneck is DEFINATELY the 100bt card.

Picture it this way..
System 1 is getting its data by walking down a hallway.

System 2 is getting its data by sucking it through a straw.

Upgrading the connection to Gb Ethernet is a huge step in the right direction. A better solution would be to use a SQL back-end and rewrite your app (I know, stop laughing).

Good luck.
Jeff Lamb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back