Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvannoy

MIS
May 4, 2001
US
I am running Novell as our Primary server. I have 4 remote locations that need to share files on a daily bases with us. I have decided to use terminal server to allow them to connect to my Novell server so there not bogged down by WAN slowness. My questions is, can you save word, excel files running word or excel from local PC onto the Terminal server session?? I dont think it's possible but just wanted to see what others out there do. is my only option to run Word etc.. from the terminal server session and not the PC??

Thanks

Wouldn't running Word/Excel locally defeat the purpose of Terminal Services?

No, not really since I am looking for file sharing not worried about PC performance. also what if a user wants to attach a file from the terminal server to an email??

Doesn't anyone use FTP anymore?

Can you set up an FTP for them? File transfers over an RDP session, assuming some script kiddy has figured out how to do it, are not going to be faster than FTP, you know, File Transfer Protocol... :)

Please tell me FTP hasn't been upgraded to old school...

Sidus

On the most current TS client you have the option of letting the TS session see your local hard drives. This way you just save the Word/Excel docs to your local system, jump into TS and you can copy them to wherever you want. It is a bit messy, but if you are not talking about large quantities of data it might be ok.

FNDH, is that client 5.01?? If not, I cannot locate a client other then 5.01 on microsoft's site..

Thanks

I have a Netware server too and I'm trying to provide remote access to the netware files when users travel. Is terminal server the best solution for this ? It seems like terminal server is really meant for running applications remotely.

The reason I choose this route is, users will be sharing (thats the key word here) files on a daily bases. FTP would not work for me. also I have several DB's that users need access to. doing this over the WAN is very slow even if the site has a T1. when your talking over 1MB files to open over the WAN it's not productive. I use Terminal Server for support and even over dialup it's very fast.

On the most current TS client you have the option of letting the TS session see your local hard drives.

I may be mistaken here, but I believe for this to work you will need a citrix server.

The version that I use came with Windows XP (Remote Desktop Connection), however It works on 95/98/2000. All I did was copy two files, MSTSC.exe and MSTSCAX.DLL. You then have the option under "Local Resources" to enable connection to local Disk Drives, Printers and Serial Ports. Comes in quite handy however I would suggest that if you share your local disk drives that you make sure you have current virus protection on your TS box, as you will be leaving yourself more open to infections.

If you need a copy of those files just let me know.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back