Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

terminal server question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DColcl

MIS
Sep 22, 2003
US
çan I install Terminal server on a Windows XP Pro workstation?

No. You can install the Terminal Server Admin tools, but not the actual service.

However, if you get hold of the Windows XP Media Centre edition, it has 5 user cals as standard.

This allows you to run thin clients around the house.

Are you sure about that AJP69?

Barb_MVP (Expert):
Q: If I have Media Center up as the current desktop and I log in from another computer using Remote Desktop, does the Media Center get beamed out, or does the regular XP desktop?
A: Remote Desktop doesn't really work very well when the host is MCE. If you RDP to a MCE machine and MCE is not running, you may be able to navigate to some of the menus, but not any of the TV. If you try to RDP to a machine where the MCE interface is already running, you will get an error message that running MCE over Remote Desktop is not supported.

When you are the IT director, it's your job to make sure the IT works. If it does work they know already and if it doesn't, they don't want to hear your pathetic excuses.

That link is all about Media Centre, the OP was not asking for that so I suggested a solution that meets his needs.

If you want to run MCE or any other "media" it is not good as that is a crappy add on. BUT if you just want plain old windows it has 5 cals and subject to your account status it is fine.

I set this up when I wanted to log into my son's computer at his house to fix things like permissions on folders.

Even on a basic XP you can RDP in and then when you disconnect your session it shows on the front screen as if you did switch user.

The Standard windows XP kicks any existing users out because it only has 1 cal.

DColcl, here's a question for you.

How many clients do you wish to connect to this XP Pro workstation?

Because you can enable remote desktop connections to the workstation and run a remote session using RDC. Also, you can use VNC to connect remotely to the local machine.

Just some suggestions...

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

yeah, I should have been a bit more specific. I have a SBS2k3 domain. SBS doesn't allow regular users to Terminal server in and work (yes, I know that there are two Admin logins permited).

VPN works WAY to slow for the laptop users (4 of them using DSL) to connect to my public IP address DSL connection at the office. I have found that TS works so much better and overhead on the server is not 'THAT' much, albeit some.

So, should I wish to take the TS route of connecting my 4 laptop users I will need to implement TS on another computer.

What I wanted to find out is that if I could install Terminal services on a regular Windows XP Pro computer instead of having to go out and purchase a full version of Server 2k3.

Now, along this line, why didn't MS allow TS to be run on SBS2k3? Is it common for VPN connections to be slower than TS?

Thanks for the replies and inputs, folks.

Dan

I was not aware the SBS2k3 had removed TS, are you sure it that you have actually installed it?

If so then MS has made a big mistake because small companies will give their users access via the admin accounts which is a security risk.

TS sessions are very thin, I used two VPN's (one Cisco and one Draytek) every day and the speed is brilliant. You may have badly configured the RDP client.

Using an XP box for this purpose is not ideal, XP is configured as a workstation product by default, so you would need to change that.

I would go back to the original TS server and look at how you have configured it, what apps you have installed. When you build a TS Server you must install TS BEFORE you install any apps.

The best results are always achieved by dedicating servers, whilst this is not always possible you may be still want to consider buying an old server with an OEM version of Windows Server from eBay. Stuff it with RAM and make sure it has a decent RAID array, then you will have a fast system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back