Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

dberg35

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2006
US
I have 3 Terminal Servers and I have one mapped to be able to login to afrom home. Is there a way to be able to point all 3 servers to the internet so that I do not have to RDP in to another server while I am in the default server?

Depending on your configuration you can do a few things. I am assuming that your servers are behind some kind of router and you are using NAT. The easiest way to do this would be to use port forwarding on the router/fw to forward all requests for port XXXX to port 3389 on IPADDRESSOFSERVER. Make rule like this within your router/fw for each server. When you connect from home, you would publicIP:pORTNUMBER (ie 1.1.1.1:1234)

-Joe

Yes but they all you the same port 3389 and I only have one public IP. Is there other port numbers to use.

Yes, that is where the port forwarding comes in. You set your router up to forward any requests made to your public IP on port 4856, for example, to port 3389 on ServerA's IP address. Come up with another port to use for the other server.

When you connect with rdp your connection string will look like Public.IP.Add.ress:4856.

-Joe

josephdavis,
Tried that again and does not work, do I need to change something on the server?

No, you shouldn't need to change anything on the server if you have the port forwarding setup properly. Can you give me some more details about your configuration? Don't include actual server names or IPs but please list your configuration with fake names and IPs. I will do my best to help. Also, what kind of router are you using?

Thanks,
Joe

-Joe

Ok the router is a Netgear FVS318 and all three servers are behind that. server1 is x.x.x.110 and port forward to port 3389. That one works fine, so I tried server2 x.x.x.105 port forward to 3390 and nothing happens when I try to connect through remote desktop. I type in public ip x.x.x.138:3390 and nothing but works for server1 if I use public ip x.x.x.138:3389. Also there is no firewall running and that server is 2003 64bit.

Okay, I think the problem is with your port forwarding. You said that you are forwarding to port 3390 for server2; you want to forward port 3390 to port 3389 on x.x.x.105 (server2).

-Joe

Ok but how would I forward a port to a port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back