Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server over ISDN? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbosko

Programmer
Jun 26, 2002
US
We have the option between ISDN, cable and satellite/modem.

I'm not sure which is the way to go. This is at the remote side of a terminal server session. The host/server side is running on DSL.

Can you give me some guidance?

Depends on price and availability. Generally ISDN is more expensive and slower than Cable. But cable is not available everywhere. Satellite should work just about anywhere so long as you can mount a dish pointed in the right direction with a clear view of the sky. But I am finding less and less companies offering satellite internet access. So again it depends on price and availability.

Also don't forget DSL as an option.

Thanks.

We're running satellite now, and its sporatic at best - not to mention speed. I think the idea of the satellite pointing in the direction of a distant clump of trees might have something to do with our connection problems.

DSL isn't available in this remote location.

We just found out that cable is out for a while too. The trunc runs right up the street in front of our office, but its a mainline- that can't be tapped. Future will have that for us.

Looks now like its between Satellite and ISDN.

I'm very very unfamiliar with ISDN - so hoping for some more input. There is a pricetag involved, but if we can get better speed and reliability (staying connected) it might be worth it.

Thanks!

You will need to contact your local telco provider for ISDN rates. ISDN is like another telephone line so some installation would need to be done by your telco. Also some telcos might charge on usage. So make sure you price it out for the amount of usage you intend to use.

Some ISDN basics:
ISDN uses two B channels of 64K each and a D channel used for signalling. You can either get service with one or both channels. This means bandwidth is either 64K or 128K with no inbetween. This is symetrical which means up to 128K up and downstream. By comparison, most DSL services start at around 256K downstream and perhaps 128K upstream. Cable services can get over the 1Mbps range depending on how many users are using the service at that time. ISDN is probably the most reliable of the 3 as it uses a dedicate telco line as opposed to less reliable cable lines and even less reliable satellite services. Plus ISDN does not have distance limitations like DSL does. So for some ISDN is the only alternative. The trade off, as I mentioned, is lower bandwidth and higher cost.

Hope this helps.

Hello!

I am a new member and am currently using ISDN for three computers and a voice line. I have the basic line with two channels. The channels are bound and the modem is accessed thru a LAN.

This is my first experience with ISDN. It is the most economical choice I have.

I am using a Ascend Modem Model # P751URB1. The program used to program it is a Pipeline Hyperlink. The computers are running Windows XP and Windows 2000.

The problem is the reliability of the connection. Sometimes it connects right up to the internet and then it will suddenly be unable to find the connection. I have found no reliable solution for this.

Sometimes it seems to restore the connection if I disable and then enable the LAN and sometimes not. All of the setting have been checked and the ISDN line has been verified as good by SBC.

Any ideas?

fixnets

I'm not sure that you're going to get much response to this message; being that its a reply to this thread that I started a long time ago. We never went down the ISDN path so I'm unfamiliar with your situation and can't be of help either.

I'd personally recommend reposting this to the boards as a new message.

hth,

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back