Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server Network Printer Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dataccount

Programmer
Sep 19, 2001
US
We have a number of employees using Terminal Server from home to access applications on our Windows 2003 server. Recently, we set up a small branch office with 6 Windows XP-Pro computers to use Terminal Services in the same manner. Some of the computers have local printers connected to them, and others use only local networked printers. (Windows Workgroup)

While connected using Terminal Services, these computers can only print if the printer chosen is a local one connected to their computer - they cannot print to any of the network printers in the office. It is not a printer driver issue, because we can take any one of the printers and physically connect it to the computer that couldn't print to it, and it works perfectly while connected to Terminal Server.

We just never had this problem before because all the printers being used by the employees at home were connected to their computer.

Any help will surely be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

From memory there is a reg setting that you can change to map network printers. I had this a couple of years ago when I also got stung with the HP / DOT4 printers.

It wasn't a reg settings, it was the old net use lpt3 as specified in the above KB.

The DOT4 workaround is a reg hack in the RDP client.

Thanks, nsantin and Zelandakh. The "net use lpt3" command mentioned in the KB article worked just fine. I set it up in a batch file that is executed each time the computer is booted up. Just changing the port assignment didn't work - had to actually install a new "local" printer after the networked printer was assigned a local port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back