Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server Licensing not starting. Problem with cryptography 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WernerKraibuehler

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2001
DE
I have two Win2000 Terminal Servers in a NT4 Domain.
I use Citrix Metaframe XP.
One of the Terminal Servers hosts the Terminal Services License Server.
At the last reboot the license server did not start.
I get the following in the systemlog :

TermservLicensing : Error 37 Terminalservicelicensing cannot start : Cannot init cryptography . Error 80090016

ServiceControl : Error 7024 . The Service Terminal Services Licensing was ended with the following code : 3221291009

I do not know of changes. Any ideas ? Can someone help me with the setup / debugging of cryptography ?
Could it be a problem with policies ?

Thank you.
Werner Kraibuehler

I too am having this issue. I'm ready to re-install TS Licensing unless someone knows a fix for this. I couldn't find anything on the Microsoft site. Thanks.

Hello, nice to hear that I am not the only one with this prob on the planet.
The problem is not solved yet.
Reinstalling TerminalServerLicensing did not help.
In the meantime I installed TerminalServerLicensing on an other server because I got problems with licenses. But I am still researching on the problem.
Perhaps it is something with the policies.
I will post any news.
If someone has an idea, I will be lucky to test ist out.
Thanks
Werner Kraibuehler

In I found the following for Event-ID 37:
Error codes:
- 80090016 = "Keyset does not exist." - A.G.: The error code 80090016 is a sign tool error. A newsgroup post sugests that this error is caused by SP2

Yes, in fact a MickeySoft Technet article Q288397 gives an exact description of the issue except that it refers to the German version of Terminal Services. It suggests the problem was fixed by SP2 but we re-applied SP2 and confirmed the size and dates for the files mentioned in the article but had no change in symptoms. It seems people who already had been issued licenses by the Terminal server before the issue began are unaffected. However, if they rebuild their machines or are new, they won't be issued a license. The Term server licensing database isn't functioning without the service. We found a reg entry that when exported from a working machine to a new machine allows connectivity but this serves only as a temporary workaround (piracy rules & all). I guess if re-installing Terminal services & the licenses has no effect, a rebuild is all that's left?

I have just found the fix to this issue on Microsoft's Website. See Q312028, it worked for me.

Excellent! Worked for us as well. MickeySoft - better late then never? Thanks for bringing it to our attention. This forum has proved its worth.

It did not work for me in the first term, because the registry keys which have to be deleted did not exist in my registry.
But I read in the Cause-Section of Q312028 that the Lic-Server obtains the key from
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\...
And the whole ..\All Users\.. Directory was set to Read-Only for Group Everyone (but R/W for Admins) to prevent Users changing the Desktop for the others.
As soon as I gave Everyone R/W-Access to ..\Application Data\.. the License-Service did start properly.
Thanks to all and thank god for this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back