Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server issues doing anything network related after RDPing into

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Hello All,
Very odd one here that just started happening a little while ago. A month or so ago we had a user complain that they tried to RDP into the Terminal Server and could successfully do so but once in they had no inter/intranet connections. If they opened a browser or Outlook it would holler they were not connected to a network. Obviously that is false as they were able to RDP into the server. This only affected two or so users on the terminal server as all others were using it fine. We have 34 total Per User CALs on the server and not all were taken according to RD Licensing Manager. All network settings seemed fine as well as 20ish other users using the same server via RDP fine. Trying to RDP with that user's creds from a different PC in house showed the same results. Using that user's creds and RDPing into a different server, everything acted fine. So we know it isn't a user specific issue and shouldn't be a network issue. We restarted the server and the issue went away.

Today another user had the above issue. Could RDP into Terminal Server but couldn't access anything network related. All other 25 employees were fine. Still had 6 or so open licenses. I Signed Off three users who weren't actively using the server and had him reconnect. He connected fine and had network capabilities then. So I am wondering if somehow the licenses were "tied up" even though they showed free in RD Licensing Manager which would explain why a reboot fixed it a month ago. The licensing mode is set to Per User but I cannot find any powershell requests to see what it thinks license-wise is tied up to verify what RD Licensing Manager is seeing.

Any thoughts on where I should poke around?

Only thing I see in Event Viewer around that time are a few of these DistributedCOM errors:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}
and APPID
{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Best thing we could figure out was somehow licenses were getting hung up in a "used" state and the system would think it didn't have enough for everyone who was logged in. Nuking a bunch of people currently logged in or a restart seemed to fix it. Buying more CALs to see if the issue completely goes away.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Nuking a bunch of people currently logged in or a restart seemed to fix it"

Classic symptom of resource starvation, be it lack of memory or memory leak

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

I did look at that as well but at those moments we are using around 30% CPU and max 75% RAM. It may be an issue with how TS is seeing users even if they are logged out. We have fired up a new 2019 server and are off loading users to it so I think this issue will resolve itself as the server is decommissioned.

Thanks all for your replies, this site is always helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back