Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server cannot issue a license

Status
Not open for further replies.

austd

Technical User
Jul 15, 2003
US
I have five Citrix servers in a farm all Win2k, Metaframe XP FR3. One is acting as the terminal server licensing server and has worked fine for 4 years. Clients access published apps from Win2k or XP machines only. The domain controller is Win2k, we are Novell so no AD.

Over the last two weeks clients have had difficulty connecting or could not connect at all. Found in the Event Viewer the Term Service warning "Terminal Server cannot issue a license".

The "fix" has been to reboot the servers. For about 20 hours the clients can then connect without a problem.

I am looking for a better "solution" than rebooting the servers daily. Thanks in advance.

check the event logs (app and system) on the TS server. Also, check to see that your licenses are still installed and that the service is running.
Check to make sure that no other servers are trying to issue TS licenses.

Corie

Did you check to make sure the TSLS is operable, i.e. does it issue licenses during the 20 hours, even temp and built-in licenses? Do you see error messages in the TS event log about not being able to contact the TSLS?

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

You may have to re-install your licenses, sometimes they do get lost.

It might be worth at that time re-installing the License server. Just the TS bit, and I think the license server has to be on the DC too. I know it has worked for 4 years but worth checking.

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

They don't have AD, so there is no DC. I believe there is an undocumented -nodc switch that can be used to run TSLS on a non-DC even in an AD environment. This is added to the service startup parameters.

This is not needed in a workgroup environment.

Patrick Rouse

The first post is a bit misleading Patrick, he does say the DC is Win2K but it might be an NT4 domain.

Cheers
Scott

This too confused me, but even in an NT4 domain, there is no requirement to run the TSLS on a PDC or BDC (haven't used those terms in a while). In an AD environment the TS query the DCs (by default) for the location of the TSLS.

There's some good info on this here:

Patrick Rouse

I agree.

Oh and be gentle I haven't been around for quite a while.

Cheers
Scott

I have checked, the licenses are still installed and the service is running. I have tried restarting the service on the TS Licensing server alone, but a reboot of the server that is unable to get a license is the "fix" so far. The issue is sporadic, yesterday I needed to reboot all of the servers, today only two.

The only error message in the Sys log is "Terminal Server cannot issue a license".

Sorry about the DC confusion, the PDC and BDC are NT 4.0.

Thank you again for your consideration.

This error is in the TS, or TSLS event log?

The only error message in the Sys log is "Terminal Server cannot issue a license".

If you are erncountering this problem from one, or a few PCs, have your tried deleting the MSLicensing registry key.

Delete this registry key on the client that can't connect:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSLicensing

Reboot the client computer

Assign the local users group "Full Control" permissions to the registry key you just deleted (it's automatically recreated when you reboot)

Attempt to logon to the Citrix Server.

Patrick Rouse

We have servers A, B, C, D and E. All Citrix servers configured as I described earlier. A is the TS License server. The error today appeared the Sys log in servers C and E. In the past (yesterday) the error has appeared in all servers. The users see no error message, they just do not connect.

I am experiencing this from dozens of users pc's. I will try deleting the registry key to see if that works. Thanks.

If the Citrix servers are Win2k with SP4, it may be a problem with the post-sp4 security rollup. I had a similar problem. After much digging, I found a TID somewhere (sorry but age affects my memory) about a problem with the post-sp4 security rollup. Once I removed it, everything was fine. However, in my situation, I could login with the RDP client, but connecting via a Citrix client would fail.

R.Sobelman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back