Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

terminal server broken connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

element19

Technical User
Jul 24, 2002
US
If i am idle for more than 10 - 15 minutes on the terminal
server(W2K server) I get automatically disconnected. We are using both w2k and xp pro workstations. the error is "the connection to the remote computer was broken. This may have been caused by a network error." Any suggestion would be great.

Check Control Panel > Power Options on the server. It may sever the connection if it goes on stand by or hibernate. I would set System Standby to never.

P

check the settings in administrative tools>terminal services configuration, right click on RDP-Tcp an go to properties, then go to the sessions tab.

Hi!

There is no power option on the W2k server. Also for some reason, setting the session to never disconnect did not fix the issue...maybe its designed this way.

Do you have a GP to log off users if there activity is idle for a specified amount of time?

Test it by disable GP, refresh user and machine policy for 2k and gpupdate for xp. Connect to TS and lay idle for 20 minutes.

P

If M4a2tot's solution didn't fix your problem, try the other location where this is set:

Properties of user account in AD -- > "Sessions" tab

Cheers.

there is no group policy of any kind. Also, i've set sessions in both active directory and terminal server configuration to never end active/idle session. This is occurring in two different networks
(one at a datacenter)...so i don't believe it's a connectivity issue.

What type of group policy do i configure and where is it?

I am having the exact same problem. We have Windows XP pro clients connecting to a Win 2000 server running terminal server. After a period of time 15-20 minutes the users are disconnected. Both AD and TS config. are set to never end.
This does not happen to all users. The interesting thing is that those users with the problem used to connect to a Novell server. We have removed the Novell client and all related protocols. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back