Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server behind Firewall 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspbyte

Technical User
Apr 23, 2004
US
I think I'm missing the obvious here and have hit a wall, so I'd appreciate any help on this subject.

How can I get a remote client, not on the LAN to connect to a terminal server behind a firewall. I've opened port 3389, and put the server in a DMZ. but the server's IP address is an internal address (192.x.x.x)

How does the remote cliuent access it?

Thanks!

You will need to forward the port from the router to the internal IP on your LAN.

Hi!
One of the ways to be able to connect with Terminal Services from outside is to translate port 3389 as FaiTHLeSS sais from the public outside to the inside interface.
What type of router/firewall are you currently using?

I would very seriously recommend you instead of translating port 3389 to the outside (because that is what the hackers are looking for) to set VPN. You can set the end-point of the VPN either on your firewall or on your server (IPSEC or PPTP is your choice). Once you create the secure channel you can safely establish terminal session.

NetoMeter

The router I''m using is a Compaq Connection Point CP2W. I set the virtual server to forward 3389 to the local address and the local 3389 port, but no luck, so far. I can access the Terminal server on the LAN, so I know it works.

Thanks for your help!

I glanced at the above posts. In order to access the terminal server on your network from the outside, you will need an external routable address that you can NAT on your firewall to your internal server address. Ohter wise the terminal server is invisible to the outside world. We use checkpoint firewall. There is a vpn client that allows the access through the firewall called secure remote. With this software running on a remote computer, you can get authenticated through the firewall and access any available resources. You can actually add the ip address of a wins server to your internet connection and get to resources by net bios name. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back