Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server and Computers may have taken a lightning strike 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

msr976

Technical User
Mar 20, 2006
US
My customers terminal server and several computers went down. Meaning that they can't get out to the internet. There are no link or activity lights on the on board nics. If I plug a laptop in any of the cable drops using the same patch cables, I get activity. I can get out to the internet and pull ip addresses. If I use the cable plugged into the file server, which has a link light, it still won't work. If I use the cable plugged into a printer with a link light, no connectivity. I tried installing 3 different nic cards in different machines that don't work, still no connectivity. Finally, I took the terminal server and the computer back to the closet. I plugged directly into the switch and it worked. So I guess my question is, could it be possible that the ports on the patch panel got toasted? I could not see several cables just going bad from out of nowhere. I plan on going back and trying to terminate a couple of cables and see if this could be the issue. Almost forgot to mention that I replaced the switch with no help. This issue drove me up the walls today. Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

msr976
A+, Network+, MCP, MCDST

Try a differant patch port, new patch cable. Is the cable needed a cross over. Sounds like a cable issue.

All turned out to be a cable problem. I guess whenever the copier person went into the closet, she must have reterminated some patch cables to B standard. The other end of the cables were punched down to A standard. I tested all of the cables that were having problems and they were all cross-overs. Why would anyone do such a thing? This is why you don't let inexperienced people mess with your network.

Or you put up a friggin' sign that the patch panel and jacks are 568A terminated.....

To be fair, he's right. Anyone who thinks it's OK to use crossover cables from switch to workstation, shouldn't be touching anything.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

I have fiber patch panels here that the networking guys keep getting into. At one time they broke 4 out of 12 strands. Needless to say one strand was working our billing office. Of course I then had to get it fixed. I put a bolt in the LIU and put a sign to "STAY OUT DAVE". Dave was the network administrator here then.

I keep telling them they don't need to get inside to make their patches, just the outside. But it doesn't make any differance. Now I make all of their patches for them so I don't havve to fix what they broke.

Happy Monday guys...

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

It is amazing how many steps you must go through to determine the root cause of a problem.

1. Lightning strikes will cause major outages or possibly develop sneak circuits that can mask certain issues. Although many companies "avoid" the cost, it is a good reason to have inter-building lightning protection on all copper cable.
2. I like Lkeerie's comment. Post a Sopranos picture & sign about the consequences of touching the cabling.
3. The cost benefit of good cabling and a good qualified installer. Many companies buy only the best servers, computers, routers and software---and then "save money" on the cable. Cabling is less than 5% of most installation costs.
Hats off to Tek-Tips for having this forum.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

I just spent all day fixing a down network because of a lightning strike. I had to install a new pix for vpn. I replaced the switch because ports were blown out. I had to replace two nic cards. I had to swap ports on a hub splitting two people. Another hub got blown out. I just brought three machines back to work to repair or replace. Just my luck. I was just talking about it and it happened. When I first got onsite, there was only one activity light. Now there are about 8. Attorney's can't have a down network. I'm just glad this was a remote site and no servers were involved.

msr976
A+, Network+, MCP, MCDST

Most people don't think about their networking switches like they do outdoor rated (PE) type cables. But grounding and bonding in the equipment rooms can save a lot of money on lightening strikes. I usually install the B-Line overhead ladder racks that bolt together. This makes it so I can put a ground strap to my grounding bus or bar. Then of course add a strap to your 19" equipment rack. It only takes a few minutes to install a few feet of #6 copper ground wire and protect your equipment.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

One of my customers had a strike to a HV tower across his parking lot a week ago. Lost a multiport card in a unix box, 4 terminals, print buffer box, printer, modem, his phone system, network card in one computer and M/B in another computer. The tech working the windows machines started swapping stuff in a switch for troubleshooting. Ended up with a patch cord with RS232 plugged into the switch and a callback. Grrrrrr.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back