Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal server and Citrix 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgoodman

MIS
Jan 3, 2001
US
I am preparing to install a new Exchange server 5.5 on my network. I presently have a Terminal server running Citrix that is underused. I was wondering if there are any pitfalls with installing the new mail server on this box. Any ideas would be helpful.

I would note suggest installing the Exchange Server on the same server as the Citrix Server. This because depending on your organisation Exchange can consume some capacity (performance and cpu). If there are pitfalls, i don't know, but the chance that there are is much bigger then when you seperate the two servers.

There are a couple of reasons why you should not install Exchange on your Citrix server. Especially if you have a lot of users.

First, Citrix recommends that you restart your server once a day. If your Exchange server is also on this box - this means you have to restart your exchange server once a day also.

Second, It is an unwritten law that exchange gets locked up. Sometimes the only remedy is restarting the server - this would mean restarting your Citrix server also.

Third, Citrix and Exchange would be fighting over processor time. This would degrade the performance of both programs.

Next, Space on the hard drives. I do not know how much room you have avialable, but once you put on the exchange server you have to contend with its information store (public and private) which could take up huge amounts of space. Then you have citrix with its user profiles - which can take up just as much space (if not even more).

Finally, if you do the exchange install and something goes wrong - you will end up losing both servers. Or if you get hit with an email virus and get a corrupt hard drive, data, or, information store - you have not only lost exchange but citrix also.

My suggestion would be to install Exchange 5.5 on a new box. If you have a small user base - the new box does not have to be cutting edge. Maybe a P500 with 256 meg of mem and a decent hard drive (with a tape backup). I am sure you know that this box is pretty inexpensive these days.

I would strongly suggest you try getting a seprate box. Things will run alot smoother if you do so.

Hope this helps!
Pinkman MCSE, CCA

Thanks for the info guys. I see that there are some problems associated with this idea. My first option was/is to get a seperate box for the mail server. I prefer to have Exchange running in its own environment. My Citrix server is a dual 450 mz processor box with few users ( usually less than 10 at any one time). The under utilization was the main reason I was considering it.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back