Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server 2003 - You do not have access to logon to this session

Status
Not open for further replies.

amaru96

MIS
May 12, 2006
AU
Hi guys, I've just setup TS on server2003 and when I try to connect I get the error "You do not have acess to logon to this session".

I have added my username to the:
remote desktop group
local admin group
Local Security Policy "Allow Logon through Terminal Services"

The server is not a domain controller and I can log on to it locally without problem.

Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated.

amaru96

Things to look at:

-Have you installed and activated a Terminal Service License server?

-Is Terminal Services set to application mode, not administrators only?

-Can you RDP to the server and log on?

Colin

Your Life & Tech

Hi Colin, thanks for the reply.

I have installed TS license server but not activated it. I was hoping to use the 120days evaluation/grace period?! License mode is set to "per user"

It is set to application mode.

I am not able to RDP to the server. Should I be able to if TS is installed as application mode?

If you haven't realised, I'm quite new to TS :)

Actually, I have activated the license server.

Have you checked the box for "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" in the properties of My Computer/Remote I have seen this overlooked many times.

Yep, checked it and it is ticked.

Surely it's not this complicated?! Could something have gone astray?

Having a look in the TS Licensing screen, it lists the server with a status of "activated".

When I expand it I see this:
Product = Existing Windows 2000 server - Terminal Services CAL token (per device)
Type = built-in
Total = unlimited
Available = unlimited
Issued = 0

Does this look right?

One other thing, I just checked the event log and saw this:

The terminal server could not locate a license server. Confirm that all license servers on the network are registered in WINS/DNS, accepting network requests, and the Terminal Server Licensing Service is running.

What the? The license server is itself!
And yes, the service is running.

Thanks TechyMcSe2k! The second link you provided did it. It seems that although the license server was itself it couldn't find itself??!! Crazy.

I added the regkey pointing it to the license server (itself) and it let me in!! What a mess.

Greatly appreciate your help. Thanks pal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back