Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server 2003 issues when launching application

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdJoey

MIS
Mar 28, 2007
US
Has anyone ever experienced trouble launching an application in /execute mode but when you switch to /install mode the application works? Any Idea how to fix the issue? I am positive that I installed the app in install mode "change user /install" Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JT

What application are you using and do you know if it's certified for TS use? Not all applications can work in a TS environment; and some can be made to work with some tinkering.

Try installing the application through Add/Remove Programs....also see if there is any documentation from the software vendor in regards to TS.

----------------------------
Beau71 - MCSA
----------------------------

Its a program called crystal launcher. Its designed to pull reports out of SQL server. The application itself works. However, there is a export button that doesn't work unless I am in install mode. I have another terminal server same OS same applications same exact setup and it works 100%.

Did you find an answer? I have the same problem right down to the app is Crystal Reports, and my other terminal server works fine.

I have no answer I will let you know when I figure it out.

Found a work around.
We are using MAS500 from SAGE software which installs a version 8.0 runtime during it's client install. We also use a POS package that loads a version 8.5 runtime with it's client. Then add to this soup installing the full version of 8.5 with all the options. You would assume the full version install going in last would point everything to the right place? Not so. You end up with a mess. Even if you unistall the runtime versions then install the full version you still will not have a fix. (at least I didn't)

The not so elegant solution is to copy all the files in windows\crystal reports into the windows directory as well. We also have an export from crystal that would not work until the files were also copied into the system32 directory as well. these are the files you must copy.
o U2*.dll
Note: Keep the 'u2lsota.dll' file in the system32 directory if you have one.
o crxf*.DLL
o crpe32.dll
o craxdrt.dll
o crviewer.dll

These may be found in the window\crystal reports directory most of the time, but on terminal servers may land in documents and settings\username\windows\crystal reports. When you find the latest versions, be sure to set permissions on the files for everybody to be able to read them before you start copying.

Yes, these dlls are registered correctly, with the correct path names, and yes I even added the crystal reports directory to the default search path without any improvement in the situation. It appears to be an issue caused by loading an app that uses the runtime Crystal reports reader (and installs it by default) on a machine that already has or gets the full version of Crystal reports with the designer. The applications seem to look for the dlls where they think it should be and ignore the registration info in the registry.

4 days of Microsoft/SAP/SAGE support could not come up with a decent explanation. Just locate the latest versions of these files wherever they land, copy them as needed into the windows directories and move on.

Thanks I will try this and let you know if it works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back