Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal does not autologon to Windows on refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

heysandwich

Technical User
May 30, 2013
US
I'm having an issue with a terminal that was just configured for Aloha 6.2.24. Aloha itself runs on the terminal without any issues. The terminal is not autologing into Windows when pushing a Refresh Data from the file server. Autologon for Windows does work from a cold boot and when restarting the terminal, it is just when running a refresh data that the terminal will log out of Windows and not automatically log back in.
I've checked the registry in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon for the autologon keys, and those appear to be correct. The settings inside of ibercfg.bat also appear to be correct.
I'm unsure as to what else could be the issue here. I'd appreciate some insight, as I'm at a loss for what to try next.

I solved this by adding ForceAutoLogon, value = 1, key into the registry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

I don't know if they have this in versions previous to Windows XP but...

Windows XP & Windows 7:

Windows Key + R (brings up the Run dialog). Type 'control userpasswords2'

This will bring up a dialog.. uncheck 'users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.'
Click OK.

You will be prompted to enter the username and password for a user to automatically log into.

All of this assumes of course that the terminal is running either Windows X or Windows 7...

Although.. that almost sounds more like an issue with Aloha itself... *shrugs*
Not too sure; Micros updates everything in the background and very rarely do you even realize it is doing anything; only when pushing something like a platform update...

It was actually a Windows problem. That was the only registry key that was not in place. Adminautologon, defaultdomainname, defaultpassword, and defaultusername were already in place and configured correctly, which is why it worked on a cold boot and restart. With ForceAutoLogon in place, it was then able to autologon when pushing a refresh data.

Oh wow. Now I feel silly. I didn't even read the second post where you start, "I solved this"

*blushes*

It would be best to use "Control Userpasswords2" as it will encrypt the login information. Having passwords in plain text passwords in a registry is never a good idea. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back