Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Term Server, Thin Clients & Handheld Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

marsmann

MIS
Apr 4, 2002
US
Hi all,

this is more of a native W2k Terminal server question but the functionality is similar so I am posting here.

Goal: Get Compaq Evo thin clients connecting to our W2k Terminal Server to work with handheld devices using com ports. Intend to use MS Active Sync for data transfers. The idea is that maintenance will log data & use handhelds and then upload/sync data up to the server's database. The maintenance shops have thin clients only.

Com port mappings are allowed/set but when clients use Compaq Ipaq handhelds for data synchronization (via MS Active Sync) it doesn't work. It looks like it just runs on the server and probably looks at it's own com ports instead of the virtual com ports on the thin clients.

I've done port remapping (net use commands) but I can't get the local client ports to send data to the server.

Anyway to do this?

Just a thought; setup the sync as a batch file, with the first line something like

net use comx: /delete where x is the port you're using

then as the second line do the net use command to remap whatever com port. That worked for me, though I'm not sure my problem was identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back