Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temporary Project Access Restriction - Security Architecture Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebbieKat

Programmer
Aug 8, 2001
US
I was wondering if anyone has had to implement a temporary
restriction to a particular project from users. For example, when you
need to bring down one project for maintenance, but want to leave the
rest of the projects accessible to users. Is there a best practice
for this? Is there any special security architecture that you
configure to be able to do something like this?

We currently have user groups that are set up based upon the users'
set of privileges available, not necessarily the projects that they
have access to. Should user groups be based on project access and/or
privileges? And what do you do if a user falls into multiple groups?

We are currently on 7.1.2 (but upgrading shortly to 7i, in case that
makes a difference).

One thing you can do is to just idle the projects that users shouldn't be able to access. This will only make that one project unavailable and leave the other ones up.

in 7i, you can specify the privileges per project per user/user group. SO in theory, you should be able to temporarily disable project access per user group.

I would suggest writing a scheduled script to do this using Command Manager instead of manual changes. It's easy to forget something like that and then have the users yelling at you...

good luck

reisw, I'm not sure what you mean by idle a project. Can you clarify how you do this step in Microstrategy?

Sure. Under the administration section of intelligence server click on the project monitor. Your actively loaded projects will appear on the left hand side of the screen. Just right click and select idle/resume. You can also automate this by using an executable that can be found on Microstrategy's support website.

DebbieKat,
I suggest modifying the privileges of the user`s group you wish to disable the project.
To do so, follow the instructions:
In the Microstrategy Desktop, go to "user manager", then right-click and edit the user group you want to disable the project.
Choose "Project Access" and change the security role to empty option.

Finally, you must stop and start the Intelligence Server to make the changes available.

Any doubt, contact me on inst msg cogubr@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back