Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temporary Internet Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

meldrape

Programmer
May 12, 2001
US
Greetings,

I have developed an online course that preloads wav files. There are approximately 50 files. What I've noticed is that the wav files 'go away' from the temporary internet folder, while other files do not (the gifs and jpgs don't go away as fast). Even when I don't restart my computer, it seems like the files only remain in the temp folder on a session by session basis. Why is this and is there a way to make sure they stay there for awhile. There is no expiration on them, by the way. If expiration dates are necessary, is there a way to programatically set one? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi
It could be a setting in the Internet explorer options.
In the advanced options there is a setting to empty the internet temp files in the security section , just make sure this is not ticked.
TL

Thanks for the tip. I looked yesterday and it's not checked. You are probably right, though. It's a different setting. I'll get to the bottom of it hopefully. I'd appreciate any other tips you may have! Thanks.

also how big are these files....there is an option to set the size of the teemp Internet files, maybe you are going over your limit!

CS

Hi
What Internet Explorer are you using.

TL

I don't think it would be wise to mess with it too much, unless you have tight control over who is using it and make sure that you have changed the settings not the users. Mike Wills
RPG Programmer (but learning Java)

"Kernel Panic has performed an Illegal Operation, so I must defrag the situation before Dr. Watson reads the logs and discovers a lost cluster."

I set the size of my temp folder to 125 meg. But what about the users? They probably don't know how to do that anyway. Thanks to all who have helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back