Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temporary (1 yr) solution for 2 buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

namaskar

IS-IT--Management
Dec 12, 2004
US
I have a customer who is expanding his business (6 existing telephones) to another building across the street (6 new users). I'm calling this Stage 1. A year from now he will have his new building completed and will consolidate everyone into a single building. This is Stage 2.

He has an existing Comdial Impact system that he's willing to replace with a Norstar, provided it will serve Stage 1 and 2. During Stage 1 he wants to be able to transfer calls across the street seamlessly. Of course he wants to do this the least expensive way he can.

My first thought was to use MCK extenders, putting a fiber station module in the building across the street, but that can get expensive. Can anyone suggest alternate, less expensive solutions to this problem?

mck pbx extenders using ip over data network

6 months until ski season starts...sadly i must resign myself to the warmer weather"this will include a normal 8-5 work day, 5 days a week"

If you can run fiber across the street, can you run copper across the street? Cheapest is 12 pr overhead/underground with appropriate lightning protection. Simple and time-tested. Good luck
Mike

If you get a Nortel BCM, you can use IP phones (or even the i2050 software) to connect the 2 sites. Then as long as you have an Internet connection at both places (ala cable or DSL) and given they will be from the same provider, you should have excellent results without running cables across the street. As another alternative to running cables across the street, if you have line of site you might try a wireless bridge (SMC, etc) and again use IP as a connection between.

An investment in IP stuff is probably a good investment toward the future. Just my 2 cents

Customer decided not to invest in MCK extenders and is not willing to pay for fiber/cable installation across a city street because he's only going to use it for a year.

Next solution is to use OPX lines. Anyone run into any issues using Norstar phones over OPX lines?

Thanks for all the feedback.

when back feeding ata over a dry circuit i have had the ata's hose on occasion....no mwi for vm

6 months until ski season starts...sadly i must resign myself to the warmer weather"this will include a normal 8-5 work day, 5 days a week"

Can you run a 10 pair or 25 pr cable across the street? Digital sets will run up to about 1000 ft, you dont need mck units ,and they will run farther if you add a powersupply for the displays . I cant remember the exact distances . If not, ata's and analog sets work for miles. If you can't run a cable,it is more difficult. I once ran a couple of cordless phones across the street to the used car lot part of a dealership . it worked really well for of couple of years. if you have to lease lines from the local telco , digital sets don't like bridge taps, or aditional cable tagged on the ends. the reflection causes too much noise. the cables should be "clearcapped " at both ends. If you can run your own cable then you know it is clear. good luck

I have also been successful renting an "alarm circuit" from the local telco - which yields a dry cable pair. On these types of pairs, I have run both analog and digital stations. I have also used two pairs to make a home-brew T1. In my region they're about $7.00/mo
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back