Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

template template parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerbitx

Programmer
Sep 13, 2005
US
I thought I was familiar with template syntax until...
I'm reading "Modern C++ Design" and was comfortable with the code:

//Library Code
template <class CreationPolicy>
class WidgetManager : public CreationPolicy
{
};

//Application Code
typedef WidgetManager< OpNewCreator<Widget> > MyWidgetMgr;

Then expanding the example so the user of the template wouldn't have to specify <Widget> after "OpNewCreator" the code became:

//Library Code
template <template <class> class CreationPolicy>
class WidgetManager : public CreationPolicy<Widget>
{
};

//Application Code
typedef WidgetManager<OpNewCreator> MyWidgetMgr;

I don't understand how the Library Code here works. I assume its getting the Widget from its being derived from the templated class CreationPolicy<Widget>, but how that gets put into the above is beyond me. Can someone either provide a specific explanation of what this is doing, a general explanation that would encompass all such questions, or both? Thanks in advance, for even reading it over.

-ryan

Code:
//Library Code
template <class CreationPolicy>
class WidgetManager : public CreationPolicy
{
};
[green]//this is basic, no?[/green]

//Application Code
typedef WidgetManager< OpNewCreator<Widget> > MyWidgetMgr;
[green]//From now on MyWidgetMgr is short for the type WidgetManager< OpNewCreator<Widget> >[/green]

[red]/*
Then expanding the example so the user of the template wouldn't have to specify <Widget> after "OpNewCreator" the code became:
*/[/red]

//Library Code
template <template <class> class CreationPolicy>
class WidgetManager : public CreationPolicy<Widget>
{
};
[green]// take a look at [URL unfurl="true"]http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=167842&seqNum=6&rl=1[/URL]
// appears to be a templated template.[/green]

//Application Code
typedef WidgetManager<OpNewCreator> MyWidgetMgr;
[green] and here again is the type def to make life easier[/green]

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Thanks for the link, but that's actually and excerpt from the book that I'm reading that confused me in the first place.

I just don't get how that saves you from having to specify Widget in the typedef.

The original example makes perfect sense to me. Is it that it inherits from a specified CreationPolicy (CreationPolicy<Widget>) that defaults the argment <class> to be of that type? I guess what I'm after is an answer to how the compiler is expanding it all.

-Ryan

If you read chapter 1 you will see this....
Code:
template<template<class Created>class CreationPolicy>
class WidgetManager:public CreationPolicy<Widget>
{
}
In spite of appearances, the Created symbol does not contribute to the definition of WidgetManager. You cannot use Created inside WidgetManager-it is a formal argument for CreationPolicy(not WidgetManager) and can simply be omitted.
I think this says it all really. If you stare at it long enough and reread it a couple of times it will all click into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back