Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Template issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

djbourne

Technical User
May 1, 2003
GB
Here's a strange one for you.
Word 97 files were originally created using a template. This template seems to have either an ip address, server name or both embedded somewhere.
This came to light when their system was migrated to join ours and the IP address changed. Lots of files then said they corrupted when open. Once the old ip address was added back onto the server they worked again. Recently we tried adding the ip address to another server and shut the old one down again files were corrupting until we switched the old server back on and returned the ip address. Is there any way of removing this link or finding what it is? Bear in mind there are 10's of 1000 files.
I have looked in the templates and add-in section and cant see any links.

Thank you in advance

Darren

Hi,

Do you have macros in your document?

Skip,
[sup][glasses]Don't let the Diatribe...
talk you to death![tongue][/sup][sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

It isn't one document but thousands. It doesn't appear to be a problem when opened in a later version of word but that would mean buying over 100 upgrade licences which is the ultimate aim but in the current climate not possible.

You did not answer Skip's question.

Gerry

I'm a little unclear as to what the full situation is here. Perhaps I could just confirm what you're seeing ...

You have a document (I know you have lots of them but just consider a representative one) based on a template that worked just fine in Word 97 (on some unnamed OS) on a network that included a server with a particular name (and a particular IP address, although I've never heard of IP addresses having any effect on Word).

In a different environment, where you include a server of the same name (and IP address) all still works with Word 97 (again on an unnamed OS). But if you remove (or rename) the server, then Word 97 - but not later versions of Word - tell you the document is corrupted.

I don't have Word 97 to hand so don't know for sure how it behaves but it seems unlikely that simply not finding a network share would cause it to claim corruption, so I do wonder whether something else may actually be the underlying problem. However, it would be worth trying to determine whether the problem is the document or the template. Do you get the same results whether or not the template is present? Next, does the problem remain if you open the document in Word whatever-later-than-97-you-have and then save it from that version? Or if you save the template from a later version?

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

I'm working (slowly) on my own website

Thanks for the message TOny sorry it has been so long to reply. I will try and explaint he situation again but more completely.

Company A bought out Company B. Company B uses Office 97. Word documents in 97 when opened in later versions open fine.

Word documents when opened in 97 work fine.

When an old redundant server is switched off word 97 documents start corrupting (Windows server 2000). This started when Company B was migrated onto company A's AD with a new set of ip address' which was resolved when adding the old ip address to the server.

Recently I turned off the server adding the ip address to another server, this resulted in corruptions again. So I reverted to what worked.

I doubt it is a template as there are 1000's of documents and they wont use the same template. I cant go through and resave all the documents in later versions (as my life is worth more :eek:). If any one can come up with a quick solution other than upgrade that would be great as it seems pointless running the old redundant server just for this reason.

I have to say I've never heard of corruption like this - what exactly is the message you get?

Your documents could certainly have a server name inside them, for any referenced file, in particular, perhaps, the template, but in its absence all I would expect would be a delay in opening while Word was looking for the template. Other references will be checked at open if you have "Update Links at Open" checked (under Tools > Options > General tab) - does it make a difference if you uncheck this option?

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

I'm working (slowly) on my own website

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I found the answer.
As all the Office instaltions were installed for some reason all the basic program templates were installed on this server. It looks like either a re-install or upgrade will remove the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back